Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1990: PhD in Chemical Engineering, Univ. of Patras, Greece
1985: Diploma in Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Characterization of the pore structure of materials. Estimation of the geometrical and topological properties of meso- and macro-porous materials (e.g. soils, rocks, tight reservoirs, adsorbents, catalyst supports) by combining percolation models with datasets from experimental techniques (e.g. Hg porosimetry, N2 sorption) and calculation of relevant transport properties (permeability, electrical conductivity, effective diffusivity).
- Environmental impacts of carbon dioxide storage. Effects of CO2 leakages from deep storage sites on shallow freshwater aquifers: experimental study and numerical modeling of the dynamic physico-chemical interactions of soil/groundwater/CO2 (e.g. CO2 dissolution, immobilized heavy metal release).
- Soil & groundwater contamination. Experimental study of the fate of persistent organic pollutants (e.g. per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances -PFAS) in the subsurface through visualization tests on glass-etched pore networks, and soil column tests. Numerical simulation of multiphase transport/reactive processes (advection, dispersion, dissolution, biodegradation, reactions) occurring during pollutant spreading /remediation in unsaturated and saturated zones.
- Treatment of soils and wastewater with advanced oxidation processes (AOPs). Design, development and testing of lab-scale and pilot-scale setups for the remediation of contaminated soils and wastewater with advanced oxidation processes (e.g. photocatalysis, ozonation, non-thermal plasma). Numerical modeling of flow, transport, and reactive processes to predict the performance of prototypes.
- In situ groundwater remediation by nanoparticles. Synthesis of stable zero valent iron nano-colloids from plant extracts (e.g. tea leaves, pomegranate). Quantification of the capacity of nanoparticles to remove organic (chlorinated hydrocarbons) and inorganic (CrVI) as bulk phase, dissolved in water and adsorbed on porous media. Development of true-to-the mechanism multi-scale numerical models.
- Enhanced oil recovery. Optimization of the interfacial/wetting properties of polymer-coated nanoparticles (PNPs) toward the mobilization of trapped oil ganglia from porous media. Preparation and characterization of PNP-based Pickering emulsions, and foams, and testing them as chemical flooding agents in porous media models (glass-etched pore networks & sandpacks) and core plugs. Correlation of the oil recovery efficiency with PNP properties.
- Biomass valorization. Development of cost-effective adsorbents with chemical activation and thermal treatment of agricultural wastes. Advances toward the development of low cost hybrid adsorbents capable to remove “cocktails” of multi-species pollutants (e.g. dyes, heavy metals, nitrates, PFAS) from wastewater.
2004-2013: Principal Researcher, FORTH/ICE-HT, Greece
1998-2004: Associate Researcher, FORTH/ICE-HT, Greece
1995-1998: Research Associate, FORTH/ICE-HT, Greece
1994-1995: Post-Doctoral Fellow, Institut Francais du Petrole (IFP), France
1992-1993: Post-Doctoral Fellow, FORTH/ICE-HT, Greece
2nd Prize of Applied Research: 3rd Applied Research and Innovation Competition, joint initiative of Eurobank and Hellenic Federation of Enterprises (SEV), 23/2/2016, Title: “Cold Plasma Apparatus for the fast, efficient and cost effective remediation of highly polluted soils”
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Participation as coordinator or principal investigator / co-investigator, in more than 30 research projects funded by EC, General Secretariat for Research and Technology, Greek Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs, Region of Western Greece, Industry and Other Organizations (PHOTOWATER, REMPLASMA, ELECTROPLASMA, OZOREMSOIL, EOR-PNP, SCENARIOS).
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
92 publications in refereed journals; 1 national patent; 5 chapters in books 72 publications in peer-reviewed international conference proceedings, 18 publications in non-refereed conference proceedings and workshops, 32 publications in Greek conference proceedings.
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
97 presentations in international conferences and workshops, and 32 presentations in national conferences.
Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE); Society of Core Analysts (SCA); International Society for Porous Media (INTERPORE); Technical Chamber of Greece (TEE).
2005-2009: Adjunct Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Higher Technological Educational Institute of Patras, Instructor of Fluid Mechanics I & II
2014-2019: Adjunct Professor, Hellenic Open University, School of Science and Technology, Postgraduate program: “Waste Management”
- Tsakiroglou, C.D., “A multi-scale approach to model two-phase flow in heterogeneous porous media”, Transp. Porous Media 94, 525-536 (2012).
- Terzi, K., I. Bountas, C.A. Aggelopoulos and C.D. Tsakiroglou, “Effects of Carbon Dioxide on the Mobilization of Metals from Aquifers”, Env. Sci. Technol., 148 (8), 4386-4394 (2014).
- Tzovolou, D.N., Theodoropoulou, M.A., Blanchet, D., Haeseler, F., Jeczalik, M., Kasela, T., W. Slack, and C.D. Tsakiroglou, “In situ bioventing of the vadoze zone of multi-scale heterogeneous soils”, Environ. Earth Sci. 74, 4907-4925 (2015).
- Tsakiroglou, C., Terzi, K., Sikinioti-Lock, A., Hajdu, K., Aggelopoulos, C., “Assessing the capacity of zero valent iron nanofluids to remediate NAPL-polluted porous media”, Sci. Total Environ. 563–564, 866–878 (2016).
- Tsakiroglou, C.D., A. Sikinioti-Lock, K. Terzi, M.A. Theodoropoulou “A numerical model to simulate the NAPL source zone remediation by injecting zero-valent iron nanoparticles”, Chem. Eng. Sci. 192, 391-413 (2018).
- Stavrinou, A., C.A. Aggelopoulos, C.D. Tsakiroglou, “Exploring the adsorption mechanisms of cationic and anionic dyes onto agricultural waste peels of banana, cucumber and potato: Adsorption kinetics and equilibrium isotherms as a tool”, J. Env. Chem. Eng. 6, 6958–6970 (2018).
- Tsakiroglou, C.D., “The Correlation of the Steady-State Gas / Water Relative Permeabilities of Porous Media with Gas and Water Capillary Numbers”, Oil & Gas Science and Technology – Revue d’ IFP Energies nouvelles 74, 45 (2019)
- Aggelopoulos, C.A., and C.D. Tsakiroglou, “A new perspective towards in-situ cold plasma remediation of polluted sites: direct generation of micro discharges within contaminated medium”, Chemosphere, 266, 128969 (2020).
- Tsakiroglou, C.D., A.A. Hinai, and R. Rezaee, “A methodology to predict the gas permeability parameters of tight reservoirs from nitrogen sorption isotherms and mercury porosimetry curves”, Oil & Gas Science and Technology – Rev. IFP Energies nouvelles 76, 32 (2021).
- Karavasilis, M. V.; Tsakiroglou, C.D. “Use of immobilized zinc oxide photocatalysts for wastewater treatment: Application to methylene blue degradation”. Can. J. Chem. Eng. 2021, 1. https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.24199