The mission of the Institute is to:
- Conduct forefront scientific research.
- Develop innovative technological products and key enabling technologies (KETs).
- Cooperate with leading research & development organizations.
- Develop strategic collaborations with industrial companies in EU and other countries.
- Provide training and advanced education to new researchers.
- Exploit R&D achievements through patents and the creation of spin-off companies.
- Contribute to the development of the Region of Western Greece.
- Contribute to the technological and economic growth of Greece.