Dept. of Chemistry
University of Patras, Greece
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1982: Diploma in Pharmacy, Univ. of Athens, Greece
1987: PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Athens, Greece
1991: Post-Doctoral Diploma in Clinical Chemistry, Univ. of Toronto, Canada
Development of Analytical/Bioanalytical Methods and Devices. Applications to the Health and Food Sectors
- Rapid Tests for Nucleic Acids
- Nanotechnology – Biosensors
- Smartphone-based analytical methods
- Microfabricated analytical devices (Chips)
- Protein assays (Immunoassays)
- Chemical Instrumentation. Automation of Chemical Analysis
- Fluorescence/Time-Resolved Fluorescence, Bio(chemi)luminescence
- Recombinant bioluminescent proteins: Expression, purification, conjugation and analytical application
- Pharmaceutical Analysis
2004-present: Professor of Chemistry, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Patras
2000-present: Collaborating faculty member, FORTH/ICE-HT
2013-2017: Member of the University Council of the University of Patras
2011- 2013: Chairman, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Patras
1999-2003: Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Patras
1999: Full Professor, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
1996-1999: Associate Professor (tenured), Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
1998: Visiting Associate Professor, Dept. of Genetics, Harvard University, Boston, MA
1992-1996: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
1989-1992: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Department of Clin. Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
- The ‘Grannis Award for an outstanding scientific report’ by the U.S. National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (1997).
- Research Award from the ‘Empeirikeio Foundation’, Athens, Greece (2000).
- The ‘Oncor Prize for the best oncology related poster presentation’ at the San Diego Conference on: ‘Nucleic Acids: A Decade of Discovery’ (1995).
- The ‘Canadian Society of Clinical Chemists (CSCC) Best Poster Award’ (1995, 1991 and 1985).
- The ‘Van Slyke Society Grant Award’ (1992) from the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC).
- The ‘Young Investigator Award’ from the Upstate New York Section of AACC (1991).
- The ‘Student Travel Grant’ from the Ontario Soc. of Clin.Chem. (1991).
- The ‘CSCC Award to encourage research in Clinical Chemistry’ (1990).
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Funded as Single Investigator in competitive grants from the National Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada (1993-1999). Principal Investigator or Collaborator in PAVE, YPER, PENED, EPAN, AO Foundation and Research and Innovation (GSRT) programmes.
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
111 original papers in peer reviewed journals. Co-editor of 2 books (in english). 8 invited review articles. 14 chapters in international books.
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
About 50 invited lectures in international and national conferences and universities/research institutes. 96 contributed papers to international scientific conferences. 17 contributed papers to Greek scientific conferences.
ORGANIZATION OF CONFERENCES
Organizer of a 4-session symposium on ‘Advances in Analytical Methods for Biomolecules’, Canadian Society for Chemistry Conference, Windsor, 1997.
Co-organizer of a one-day workshop on ‘Molecular Biology Techniques’ offered by the Canadian Society of Clinical Chemists (CSCC) (Whistler BC, Canada, 1995).
Co-organizer of three-day workshops on ‘Molecular Biology Techniques’ sponsored by the Dept. of Clin. Biochem., University of Toronto, in 1994, 1993 and 1992.
Organizer of the international conference on “Instrumental Methods of Analysis-Modern Trends and Applications (IMA07)”, Sept. 30-Oct. 4, Rio, Patras, Greece.
Referee of 17 international scientific journals. Member of the Editorial Board of ‘Clinica Chimica Acta’ (1999-) and ‘Clinical Biochemistry’ (1999). Member of the Senate, Univ. of Patras (2002-3). Member of the Graduate Studies committee, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Patras (2005-). Member of the Health and Safety committee, Dept. of Chem. Univ. of Patras (2006-). Member of the Executive Committee, School of Physical Sciences, U of Windsor, Ontario, Canada (1999). Member of the Graduate Council of the Univ. of Windsor (1995-6). Awards Committee, U. of Windsor (1995-6). Scholarships Officer, Dept. of Chem. and Biochem., U of Windsor (1995-98). Member of the Graduate studies committee, Dept. of Chem. and Biochem., Univ. of Windsor (1992-98).
Department of Chemistry, Univ. of Patras, Graduate courses (2010-present):
‘Micro/Nanotechnology-Chemical sensors’ (I cover the full graduate course)
‘Chemical Biology’. I offer two lectures, 2-hours each
Since 1990 I have tought Undergraduate and Graduate Courses:
‘Instrumental analysis’ (Dept. of Chem. & Biochem., U of Windsor and Dept. of Chem., U of Patras).
‘Qualitative Analysis’ and ‘Quantitative Analysis’ (lab) (Dept. of Chem., U of Patras).
‘General Chemistry’ and ‘Biochemistry’ (Dept of Chem. & Biochem., U of Windsor). ‘Advanced Bioanalytical Topics’, ‘Clinical Chemistry’, ‘Clinical Biochemistry’, ‘Instrumental Analysis in Clinical Chemistry’ (Dept of Chem. & Biochem., U of Windsor).
‘Analytical Biochemistry’, ‘Advanced Analytical Biochemistry’, ‘Molecular Biological Aspects of Analytical Biochemistry’ (Dept of Clin. Biochem., U of Toronto).
PhD Theses Supervisor
17 PhD theses have been completed under my supervision (7 in Canada and 10 in Greece)
MSc Theses Supervisor
15 MSc theses have been completed under my supervision (2 in Canada and 13 in Greece)
- Christopoulou N-M, Kalogianni DP, Christopoulos TK. Posidonia oceanica (Mediterranean tapeweed) leaf litter as a source of fluorescent carbon dot preparations. Microchemical Journal, 2021; 161: 105787.
- Sevastou A, Tragoulias SS, Kalogianni DP, Christopoulos TK. Mix-and-read method for assessment of milk pasteurization using a smartphone or a common digital camera. Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2020; 412: 5663-5669
- Kalligosfyri PM, Sevastou A, Kyriakou IK, Tragoulias SS, Kalogianni DP, Christopoulos TK. Smartphone-based chemiluminometric hybridization assays and quantitative competitive polymerase chain reaction. Analytica Chimica Acta, 2019; 1088: 123-130.
- Galaziou A, Christopoulos TK, Ioannou PC. Paper-based device providing visual genetic signatures for precision medicine. Application to breast cancer. Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2019; 411: 3769-3776. Paper in Forefront
- Kyriakou IK, Mavridis K, Kalogianni DP, Christopoulos TK, Ioannou PC, Skorilas A. Multianalyte quantitative competitive PCR on optically encoded microspheres for an eight-gene panel related to prostate cancer. Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2018; 410: 971-980
- Spyrou EM, Kalogianni DP, Tragoulias SS, Ioannou PC, Christopoulos TK. Digital camera and smartphone as detectors in paper-based chemiluminometric genotyping of single-nucleotide polymorphisms. Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2016; 408: 7393-7402.
- Kalogianni DP, Bazakos C, Boutsika L, Targem M, Christopoulos TK, Kalaitzis P, Ioannou PC. Olive oil DNA fingerprinting by multiplex SNP-genotyping on fluorescent microspheres. Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry, 2015; 63: 3121-3128
- Sapountzi EA, Tragoulias SS, Kalogianni DP, Ioannou PC, Christopoulos TK. Lateral flow devices for nucleic acid analysis exploiting quantum dots as reporters. Analytica Chimica Acta, 2015; 864: 48-54
- Trantakis IA, Christopoulos TK, Spaniolas S, Kalaitzis P, Ioannou PC, Tucker GA. Quantitative bioluminometric method for DNA-based species/varietal identification in food authenticity assessment. Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry, 2012; 60: 912-916.
- Iliadi A, Petropoulou M, Ioannou PC, Christopoulos TK, Anagnostopoulos NI, Kanavakis E, Traeger-Synodinos J. Absolute quantification of the alleles in somatic point mutations by bioluminometric methods based on competitive PCR in the presence of a locked nucleic acid blocker or an allele-specific primer. Analytical Chemistry 2011; 83: 6545-6551.
- Petrakis EC, Trantakis IA, Kalogianni DP, Christopoulos TK. Screening for unknown mutations by a bioluminescent protein truncation test with homogeneous detection. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2010; 132: 5091-5095.
- Tragoulias SS, Obeid PJ, Tataridis I, Christopoulos TK. Home-built integrated microarray system (IMAS). A three-laser confocal fluorescence scanner coupled with a microarray printer. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2008, 390, 1563-1573.
- Kalogianni DP, Elenis DS, Christopoulos TK, Ioannou PC. Multiplex quantitative competitive polymerase chain reaction (MQC-PCR) based on a multianalyte hybridization assay performed on spectrally encoded microspheres. Analytical Chemistry, 2007, 79, 6655-6661.
- Kalogianni DP, Bravou VT, Christopoulos* TK, Ioannou PC, Zoumbos NC. Dry-reagent disposable dipstick test for visual screening of seven leukemia-related chromosomal translocations. Nucleic Acids Research, 2007, 35, e23, 1-12.
- Kalogianni DP, Koraki T, Christopoulos TK, Ioannou PC. Nanoparticle-based DNA biosensor for visual detection of genetically modified organisms. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2006, 21, 1069-1076.
- Obeid PJ, Christopoulos TK, Crabtree HJ, Backhouse CJ. Microfabricated device for DNA and RNA amplification by continuous-flow PCR and RT-PCR with cycle number selection. Analytical Chemistry, 2003, 75: 288-295.