Dept. of Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics
University of Patras, Greece
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1987 PhD in Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering, Univ. of Patras, Greece
1981 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Patras, Greece
Mechanics: Direct and inverse wave scattering and radiation problems in acoustics, electromagnetism, elasticity, thermoelasticity and strain gradient elasticity. Wave propagation in waveguides, composite, non-homogeneous materials and biomaterials. Non-destructive Testing through wave propagation phenomena (Acoustic Emission, Ultrasonics, Acousto-ultrasonics, Laser scattering). Fracture mechanics. Homogenization techniques. Mechanical vibrations and vibration isolation. Mechanics of materials and biomaterials with microstructural effects. Biomedical engineering.
Computational Mechanics: Numerical analysis with the Boundary Element Method (BEM) and Finite Element Method (FEM). Numerical analysis through meshless methods. Numerical analysis through hybrid Meshless/BEM numerical methods and FEM/BEM.
2003-today: Professor, Dept. of Mech. & Aeron. Eng., Univ. of Patras, Greece
1998-2003: Associate Professor, , Dept. of Mech. & Aeron. Eng., Univ. of Patras, Greece
1993-1998: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Mech. & Aeron. Eng., Univ. of Patras, Greece
1988-1993: Lecturer, Dept. of Mech. & Aeron. Eng., Univ. of Patras, Greece
1982-1988: Research and Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Mech. & Aeron. Eng., Univ. of Patras, Greece
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
1990-2021: Participation in European ((BRITE- EURAM, SCIENCE, AGARD, IST, IKYDA-DAAD, FP7, DAAD)) and Νational (KARATHODORI, YPER, EPET, PENED, POSTDOC, ELIDEK) projects.
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
102 refereed journal papers. 23 articles in books, 117 papers in conference proceedings.
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
Participation in more than 100 international and national conferences. 24 invited lectures.
EDITORSHIP AND BOOKS
- N. Atluri, D.E. Beskos and D. Polyzos, Editors, Proceedings (in CD-ROM) of International Conference on Computational & Experimental Engineering & Sciences, ICCES 03, Corfu, Greece, 2003.
- Bazeos, D.L.Karabalis, D. Polyzos, D.E. Beskos and J.T. Katsikadelis, Editors, Proceedings of 8th HSTAM international Congress on Mechanics, Patras, Greece, 2007
- Charalambopoulos, D.I. Fotiadis and Polyzos, Editors, Advanced Topics in Scattering and Biomedical Engineering, World Sciedific, ISBN-13:9789812814845
- Manolis, D. Polyzos, Editors, Recent Advances in Boundary Element Methods, A volume to honor Professor D.E. Beskos, Springer, 2009
- A. Paipetis and D. Polyzos “Vibrations and waves”, 2003 (in Greek)
- C. Rodopoulos, T. Gortsas, S. V. Tsinopoulos, D. Polyzos, “Numerical evaluation of strain gradients in classical elasticity through the Boundary Element Method”, Submitted for publication in European Journal of Mechanics/ A Solids, 86, 104178, 2021.
- N. Grivas, M. G Vavva, A. Carlier, D. Polyzos, L. Geris, H. Van Oosterwyck, D. I. Fotiadis, “Effect of ultrasound on bone fracture healing: A computational mechanobioregulatory model”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 145 (2), pp. 1048-1059, 2019.
- G. Aggelis , M. Strantza, O. Louis, F. Boulpaep, D. Polyzos, D. van Hemelrijck, “Fracture of Human Femur Tissue Monitored by Acoustic Emission Sensors”, Sensors, 15, pp. 5803-5819, 2015.
- J. Sellountos, A. Sequeira and D. Polyzos, “A new LBIE method for solving elastodynamic problems”, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 35, pp. 185-190, 2011.
- G. Vavva, V. C. Protopappas, L. N. Gergidis, A. Charalampopoulos, D. I. Fotiadis and D. Polyzos, “Velocity dispersion curves of guided waves propagating in a free gradient elastic plate: application to cortical bone”, The Journal of Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 125(5), pp. 3414-3427, 2009
- Karlis, S. V. Tsinopoulos, D. Polyzos, D. E. Beskos, “Boundary Element Analysis of Mode I and Mixed Mode (I and II) Crack Problem of 2-D Gradient Elasticity”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 196, pp. 5092-5103, 2007
- Aggelis, S. V. Tsinopoulos, D. Polyzos, “An iterative effective medium approximation (IEMA) for wave dispersion and attenuation predictions in particulate composites suspensions and emulsions”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 116(6), pp. 3443-3452, 2004
- Polyzos, K. G. Tsepoura, S. V. Tsinopoulos and D. E. Beskos, “A Boundary Element Method for Solving 2D and 3D Static Gradient Elastic Problems, Part 1: Integral formulation”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 192, pp. 2845-2873, 2003
- J. Selloundos and D. Polyzos, “A MLPG(LBIE) method for Solving Frequency Domain Elastic Problems”, CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, 4(6), pp. 619-636, 2003
- T. Verbis, S. E. Kattis, S. V. Tsinopoulos and D. Polyzos, “Wave Dispersion and Attenuation in Fiber Composites”, Computational Mechanics, Vol.27, pp. 244-252, 2001
- V. Tsinopoulos and D. Polyzos, “Scattering of He-Ne Laser Light by an Average-sized Red Blood Cell”, Applied Optics, Vol.38(25), pp. 5499-5510, 1999.
- V. Tsinopoulos, J. P. Agnantiaris and D. Polyzos, “An Advanced Boundary Element/ Fast Fourier Transform Formulation for Acoustic Radiation and Wave Scattering Problems”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol.105(3), pp. 1517-1526, 1999
- S. E. Kattis, D. Polyzos and D. E. Beskos, “Vibration Isolation by a Row of Piles Using a 3-D Frequency Domain BEM”, International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol.46, pp. 713-728, 1999