Dept. of Chemistry
University of Patras, Greece
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1988: PhD in Chemistry (Biochemistry), Univ. of Patras, Greece
1984: Diploma in Chemistry (grade A), Univ. of Patras, Greece
Extensive experience in the fields of Biochemistry, Biochemical Analysis & Matrix Pathobiology. His interests involve matrix pathobiology, cell signaling, molecular targeting, pre-clinical evaluation of drugs at cell level and cytotoxicity. More focus is given to proteoglycans, glycosaminoglycans, metalloproteinases and epigenetic regulation, in tissue organization, development and progression of various disorders, such as cancer. The signal transduction pathways (receptors and intracellular mediators) as well as the effects of growth factors and cytokines as regulatory mechanisms in matrix macromolecular expression are also studied
1988-1990: Researcher and Post-doc Research Fellow (annual periods, total 3-years) at Karolinska Institute,
Department of Medicine, Stockholm, Sweden
1990-2002: Lecturer (1990), Assistant Professor (1993), Associate Professor (1999), Department of Chemistry,
University of Patras
2003-present: Professor of Biochemistry & Org. Biochem. Analysis, University of Patras
2004-present: Member of the administrative board of the Hellenic Society of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
(HSBMB) as President (2006-2007, 2018-2019), General Secretary (2004-2005 & 2011), Vice-President (2008-2011 &
2003-present: Coordinator of the Hellenic Matrix Biology section of HSBMB (former Hellenic Research Club for
Connective Tissue and Matrix Biology) and contact person in the European Matrix Biology Europe (former Federation
of European Connective Tissue Societies-FECTS)
2007-2009: European Union Expert, FP7, theme “Health”
2010-present: Collaborative Faculty Member of the Institute ICE-HT (FORTH), Patras, Greece
2007-2011: Head of the Department of Chemistry, University of Patras
2011: European Registered Toxicologist (ERT)
2012-2020: Member of the Quality Assurance Unit of the University of Patras (MODIP) and since 2014 president of
2014-2020: Vice-Rector of Academic & International Affairs
2016-2019: FEBS education ambassador in molecular life sciences
2019-2020: Council member (elected) of the Int Society of Matrix Biology (ISMB)
2021-present: Vice-president of ISMB
Member of the editorial boards of several peer-reviewed journals, among them: FEBS Journal (Academic Editor/editorial & advisory board member), PLoS ONE (Academic editor), Matrix Biology & Matrix Biology Plus (deputy editor, 2016-2020), The Journal of Biological Chemistry (2009-2014), Current Medicinal Chemistry, Biomedical Chromatography, Current Pharmaceutical Analysis, Current Chemical Biology, Chromatographia (2004- 2009), Data Sets in Biology, Science Open and several other scientific journals. Participation in the editorial boards and action as reviewer in peer-reviewed scientific journals (ca 40) in the areas of Biochemistry, Biochemical & Pharmaceutical Analysis, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Anticancer Agents, Oncology, Cancer, Matrix Biology, Cell signaling, Targeted Molecular Therapeutic Approaches, Extracellular Matrix, Drug Pharmacological Evaluation and Cancer.
Several awards have been conferred by various Scientific Societies, among them the Hellenic Society of Biochemical & Molecular Biology Society, Society for Microbiology and Biopathology, Pediatrics, Society for Anticancer Research, European associated Societies Comet and Leonardo da Vinci, Neurological Society, Federation of European Connective Tissue Societies, etc. Several publications on pharmacological targeting of metalloproteinases and proteoglycans were among the top most-cited publications in several journals and five articles are included in the highly cited ones in the Web of Science database. According to Scholar website (link is given below) Prof. Karamanos is among the top authors and most cited in the areas: Matrix Biology, Glycosaminoglycans, Proteoglycans, Cancer Cell Biology and Metalloproteinases.
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Coordination of a number of National (15) and International (5) research projects.
Major recent research grants:
- Nanobiotechnological Injectible Extracellular Matrix (ECM) for cartilage regeneration, personalized therapy and identification of “individual” microbe metabolites involved in joint degeneration – ArthroMicroPerMed, NSRF 2014-2020 [2018-present]
- Matrix glycans as multifunctional pathogenesis factors and therapeutic targets in cancer – GLYCANC, Horizon 2020, Marie Sklodowska-Curie Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE). Collaborators: Westfaelische Wilhelms University of Muenster, University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne, University of Insubria, University of Uppsala, National Center for Scientific Research “Demokritos”, Serend-IP GmBH, Fidia Farmaceutici SPA, Semmelweis Egyetem, Cairo University [2015-2019]
- Intracellular crosstalk between ERα/β, EGF and IGF receptors in development and progression of breast cancer – BioCancerTalk, Thales. Investing in knowledge society through the European Social Fund Union, European Social Fund (ESF) & NSRF 2007-2013 [2013-2016]
- Extended self-life biopolymers for sustainable and multifunctional food packaging solutions – NanoBarrier, FP7- NMP2011-LARGE-5 [2012-2016]
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
- More than 320 publications (Scopus database) in international peer review journals
- 1 International book with 54 chapters and 7 thematic sections (890 Pages), Published by De Gruyter, 2012, Berlin/Boston
- 40 Publications as chapters in book series and full proceeding
- 3 books on biomolecules structure-function and enzyme immunoassays
- More than 400 abstracts in proceedings of International and National scientific conferences
- More than 100 invited, confirmed and plenary lectures in International meetings/conferences (including FECTS2004 Italy, FEBS-2010 Sweden, Gordon Research Conference on Proteoglycans-2012, 2014, 2016, 2020 USA,
International Proteoglycans’ conference, 2013 & 2015 Germany and Seoul, Matrix Biology Europe 2020 (opening
invited lecture), Hellenic scientific conferences and International Research Institutes and Universities (including
University of Reims and Paris-France, Munster- and Leipzig-Germany, Varese-Italy, Uppsala-Sweden)
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
Over 70 invited and plenary lectures in International and National scientific conferences and Universities/ Research Institutes, among them FECTS-2004 Italy, FEBS-2010 Sweden, Gordon Research Conference on proteoglycans-USA 2012, Ludwig Cancer Institute-Uppsala 2011, Med. School-Reims Univ. France 2012 etc
Chairman of the FEBS Advanced Lecture Courses (since 2007 and every two years) in the thematic area: Matrix
Pathobiology, Signaling and Molecular Targets (www.chemistry.upatras.gr/febs-mpst2007, www.febsmpst2009.upatras.gr, www.febs-mpst2011.upatras.gr, www.febs-mpst2013.upatras.gr, www.febsmpst2015.upatras.gr, www.febs-mpst2017.upatras.gr, https://mpst2019.febsevents.org,
Chairman of the 2018 FEBS Advanced Lecture Course on Extracellular Matrix: Cell Regulation,
Epigenetics and Modeling (www.extracellularmatrix.febsevents.org). Chairman of the 2nd Matrix Biology Europe
(MBE) Conference (being the XXVth FECTS Meeting) (http://www.mbe2016.upatras.gr); Co-chair of the
International Conference on Proteoglycans, Seven Lake&& Molecular Biology (Athens, 2009 and Patras 2020,
respectively); Scientific Secretary and International Contact person of the 33rd FEBS Congress-11th IUBMB
Conference (2008); Secretary of the 17th FECTS International Conference (2000); Chairman of the Comet EU Training
Course on Advanced analytical techniques (1992) and Leonardo da Vinci EU meeting on Microseparation
techniques (1998); Member of the organizing committee of a series of scientific meetings of the Hellenic
Connective tissue and Extracellular Matrix section and of the 1st and 2nd Conference of Biosciences of the
University of Patras as well as in a series of international conferences.
- Reviewer in a number (more than 25) of peer review scientific journal in the areas of Biochemistry, Biochemical Analysis, Cell and Molecular Biology, Cancer, Matrix Pathobiochemistry, Anticancer Agents, Molecular Targeted Therapy and Cardiovascular Research.
- Member of the editorial boards of ‘The Journal of Biological. Chemistry, PloS ONE (academic editor), FEBS Journal (advisory editorial board), Matrix Biology, Current Medicinal Chemistry, Biomedical Chromatography, Current Pharmaceutical Analysis, Current Chemical Biology, Data Sets in Biology (area cell biology), J Paediatric Biochemistry, Chromatographia (2003-2009).
- Contact person in Federation of European Connective Tissue Societies (FECTS) and coordinator of the Hellenic Research Club for Connective Tissue and Matrix Biology (2003-2010 & 2011).
- President of the Hellenic Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2006-2007), Secretary General (2004-2005) and Vice-President (2008-present).
- European Union Expert, FP7, theme “Health” (2007-2009).
- Head of the Department of Chemistry, University of Patras (2007-2011).
- Member of the Quality assurance unit of the University of Patras (2011-present).
- Vice-rector of academic & international affairs of the University of Patras (2014-present).
Undergraduate teaching: Lectures in Biochemistry I, Clinical Chemistry, Biology and Chemistry of Organic Natural Products.
Graduate teaching: Courses Masters & Ph.D.: Lectures in Advanced Biochemistry I and II, Molecular Biology & Molecular Biotechnology, Clinical Biochemistry, Organic & Biochemical Analysis.
Trainees: Supervisor of 10 Postdoctoral fellows – Supervisor of 18 PhD and 35 MSc awarded studies – Supervision of 1 Postdoctoral fellow, 3 PhD and 3 MSc graduate students.
EDITORSHIP AND BOOKS
- International Book Series: Biology of Extracellular Matrix, Springer-Nature [Series Editor since 2018]
- International Book Edition: Extracellular Matrix: Pathobiology and Signaling, ISBN 978-3-11-025876-9 (2012),
Walter DeGruyter, Berlin/Boston, p1-890 [Editor]
- Special issue: Molecules of the Extracellular Matrix as cancer Targets, https://www.frontiersin.org/researchtopics/20488/molecules-of-the-extracellular-matrix-as-cancer-targets, (2022) [Guest Editor with Drs Martin Gotte &
- Special issue: The dynamic functional and structural network in health and disease (2022) [Guest Editor with Drs
Sylvie Ricard-Blum & Dimitrios Kletsas]
- Special Issue/collection: Matrix Effectors and Cancer, Cancers (2021) [Guest Editor with Dr. Z. Piperigkou]
- Special issue: Translating Extracellular Matrix: from Cancer Progression to Therapeutics, Seminars in Cancer
Biology (2020) 62; iii-v [Guest Editor]
- Special issue: Complexity of Matrix Phenotypes, Matrix Biol Plus (2020) In press [Guest Editor with R.V. Iozzo]
- Special issue: Matrix Modeling and Remodeling: Proteoglycans remodeling in cancer: Underlying molecular
mechanisms, Matrix Biology (2019), 75-76;1-330 [Guest Editor]
- Special issue: Extracellular Matrix in Health and Disease, FEBS J (2019), 286;2823-3075 [Guest Editor]
- MiniReview Series: Matrix pathobiology-central roles for proteoglycans and heparanase in health and disease,
FEBS J (2017) 284;7-9 [Coordinator]
- Special Issue: Matrix-mediated cell behavior and properties, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (2014) 1840;2385
- MiniReview Series: Novel insights into matrix pathobiology regulatory mechanisms in health and disease, FEBS J
(2014) 281;4978-4979 [Coordinator with A. Passi]
- Special Issue: Proteoglycans signaling, targeting and therapeutics, FEBS J (2013) 280;2119-2534 [Guest Editor
with R. Linhardt]
- MiniReview Series: Regulatory roles of hyaluronan in health and disease, FEBS J (2011) 278;1411 [Coordinator
with V. Hascal]
- MiniReview Series: Metalloproteinases in Health and Disease: challenges and the future prospects, FEBS J
(2011) 278;1 [Coordinators with H. Nagase]
- MiniReview Series: Proteoglycans in Health and Disease: emerging concepts and future directions, FEBS J
(2010) 277;3863 [Coordinator with R.V. Iozzo]
- Special issue: Matrix Pathobiology, Signaling and Molecular Targets, Conn. Tissue Res. (2008) 49 (3&4) [Guest
- Special issue: Solid phase assays for molecules with biopharmaceutical importance, J Pharm Biomed Anal,
Elsevier (2004) 34 [Guest Editor]
- Special issue: Analysis of carbohydrate macromolecules by capillary electrophoresis: glycoproteins,
proteoglycans/glycosaminoglycans and glycolipids, Biomed Chromat, Wiley InterScience (2002) 16 [Guest Editor]
- Karamanos NK, Piperigkou Z, Passi A, Gotte M, Rousselle P, Vlodavsky I (2021) Extracellular Matrix-Based Cancer
Targeting Trends Mol Med. S1471-4914(21)00190-8 (Impact factor, IF: 11.95)
- Karamanos NK, Theocharis AD, Piperigkou Z, Manou D, Passi A, Skandalis SS, Vynios DH, Orian-Rousseau V, RicardBlum S, Schmelzer CEH, Duca L, Durbeej M, Afratis NA, Troeberg L, Franchi M, Masola V, Onisto M (2021) A guide to
the composition and functions of the extracellular matrix, FEBS J, In Press, doi: 10.1111/febs.15776. IF: 5.54
- Piperigkou Z, Franchi M, Riethmuller Ch, Gotte M, Karamanos NK (2020) miR-200b restrains EMT and aggressiveness
and regulates matrix composition depending on ER status and signaling in mammary cancer, Matrix Biol Plus, 6-
- Piperigkou Z, Karamanos NK (2020) Estrogen receptor-mediated targeting of the extracellular matrix network in
cancer. Semin Cancer Biol. 62: 116-124. Impact factor IF: 9.66
- Theocharis AD, Manou D, Karamanos NK (2019) The extracellular matrix as a multitasking player in disease, FEBS J.
286(15):2830-2869. IF: 5.54
- Piperigkou Z, Karamanos NK (2019) Dynamic Interplay between miRNAs and the Extracellular Matrix Influences the
Tumor Microenvironment. Trends Biochem Sci. 44(12):1076-1088. IF: 15.68
- Karamanos NK, Theocharis AD, Neill T, Iozzo RV (2019) Matrix modeling and remodeling: A biological interplay
regulating tissue homeostasis and diseases. Matrix Biol.75-76:1-11. IF: 11.58
- Theocharis AD, Karamanos NK (2019) Proteoglycans remodeling in cancer: Underlying molecular mechanisms.
Matrix Biol. 75-76:220-25. IF:11.58
- Karamanos NK, Piperigkou Z, Theocharis AD, Watanabe H, Franchi M, Baud S, Brezillon S, Gotte M, Passi A, Vigetti
D, Ricard-Blum S, Sanderson RD, Neill T, Iozzo RV (2018) Proteoglycan Chemical Diversity Drives Multifunctional Cell
Regulation and Therapeutics. Chemical Reviwes 118(18):9152-9232. IF: 60.62
- Piperigkou Z, Gotte M, Theocharis AD, Karamanos NK (2017) Insights into the key roles of epigenetics in matrix
macromolecules-associated wound healing. Adv Drug Deliv Res. 129:16-36. IF: 15.47
- Piperigkou Z, Franchi M, Gotte M, Karamanos NK (2017) Estrogen receptor beta as epigenetic mediator of miR10b and miR-145 in mammary cancer. Matrix Biol. 64, 94-111. IF: 11.58
- Afratis N, Bouris P, Skandalis SS, Multhaupt HA, Couchman JR, Theocharis AD, Karamanos NK (2017) IGF-IR
cooperates with ERα to inhibit breast cancer cell aggressiveness by regulating the expression and localization of ECM
molecules. Sci Rep. 12 (7), 40138. IF: 4.26
- Piperigkou Z, Bouris P, Franchi M, Kletsas D, Theocharis AD, Karamanos NK (2016) Estrogen receptor beta as a key
player in mediation of functional properties of aggressive breast cancer cells. Matrix Biol. 56, 4-23. IF: 7.40. Featured
in Faculty 1000 (F1000Prime)- https://f1000.com/prime/726362790
- Theocharis AD, Skandalis SS, Gialeli C, Karamanos NK (2016) Extracellular Matrix Structure. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 1
(97), 4-27. IF: 15.04
- Theocharis AD, Skandalis SS, Neill T, Multhaupt HAB, Hubo M, Frey H, Gopal S, Gomes A, Afratis N, Lim HC,
Couchman JR, Filmus J, Sanderson RD, Schaefer L, Iozzo RV, Karamanos NK (2015) Insights into the key roles of
proteoglycans in breast cancer biology and translational medicine. Biochim Biophys Acta Rev in Cancer. 1855 (2),
276-300. IF: 7.85
- Gialeli C, Theocharis AD, Karamanos NK (2011). Roles of matrix metalloproteinases in cancer progression and their
pharmacological targeting. FEBS J. 278, 16-27. IF: 4.74 Notable paper published in European Journal of
Biochemistry/The FEBS Journal the last 50 years [The FEBS Journal 284 (2017) 4162-4171]
- Kousidou O, Berdiaki A, Kletsas D, Zafiropoulos A, Theocharis AD, Tzanakakis GN, Karamanos NK (2008). Estradiolestrogen receptor: a key interplay of the expression of syndecan-2 and metalloproteinase-9 in breast cancer cells.
Mol Oncol. 2 (3), 223-232. IF:5.33