Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1990: Phd in Chem. Engng – Dept. of Chem. Engng, Univ. of Patras
1985: Diploma in Chemical Engineering, University of Patras
- Electrochemistry and Electrochemical engineering
- High Temperature PEM and Solid Oxide fuel cells
- PEM water electrolysis and photoelectrocatalysis
- chemical reaction engineering and heterogeneous catalysis
- applications of IR and X-ray spectroscopies in catalysis and electrocatalysis
2007-today: Research Director, FORTH/ICE-HT
2005-2010: Chairman of the board of directors of ADVENT Technologies S.A.
2002-2007: Principal Researcher, FORTH/ICE-HT
1995-2002: Associate Scientist, FORTH/ICE-HT
1991-1995: Post-Doctoral Fellow, FORTH/ICE-HT
1988-1991: Post-Doctoral Fellow Petochem. Terchn. Lab, Univ. of Gent, Belgium
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Project Coordinator: 16 (11 European, 5 National)
- Project participation Scientific leader: 13 (9 European, 3 National)
- Members of the research team: 5
- Budget for my research group: 7,750,000 euro
- Total Budget: 28,000,000 euro
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
- Total number of publications: 204
- In refereed international Journals: 152
- Chapters in books: 5
- In refereed special issues and refereed conference proceedings: 41
- Patents: 6
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
- Invited Lectures: 29
- Plenary lectures: 3
- Oral presentations in international conferences: 102
- Participation in Greek conferences: 57
- 10/2004 1st summer school in SOFC technology , 80 participants, Patras Greece
- 09/2006 3rd Summer School on SOFC technology, 150 participants, Lemnos, Greece
- 10/2010 Summer School on Electrolytes for PEM Water Electrolysis, 29 participants, Patras, Greece
- 09/2015 3rd International Workshop on Degradation issues of Fuel Cells and Electrolysers, 130 participants, Santorini, Greece
- 10/2016 11th European Space Power Conference (ESPC 2016), Thessaloniki, Greece, 400 participants, member of the organizing committee.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Co-founder of ADVENT Technologies SA:
I was one of the key founders of ADVENT Technologies SA. The company was founded in November 2004 and was co-financed within the framework of the PRAXE program from the Greek Ministry of Development, with a shared cost action of 700,000 ?. ADVENT Technologies SA was established in Patras Greece in November 2004 and I was chairing the company from 2005-2010. In 2010 ADVENT expanded its activities to Connecticut in the USA, while in 2020 was merged with AMCI and went public on NASDAQ under ADVENT technologies holdings attracting 156,000 kE.
The activities of the company focus on the optimization and commercialization of high temperature polymer electrolyte fuel cell technology, based on materials and processes that were developed at FORTH/ICE-HT and the Department of Chemistry of the University of Patras. The company is currently specialized in the development of high temperature PEM fuel cell stacks based on its proprietary technology.
- “Electrochemical enhancement of a catalytic reaction in aqueous solution”, S.G. Neophytides, D. Tsiplakides, P. Stonehart, M.M. Jaksic & C.G. Vayenas, Nature 370 (1994), 45.
- Highly dispersed platinum supported catalysts – Effect of properties on the electrocatalytic activity, Zagoraiou, E., Daletou, M.K., Sygellou, L., Ballomenou, S., Neophytides, S.G., Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, December 2019, 259, Article number 118050
- Physical modeling of the electrochemical impedance spectra for the O2 reduction reaction in HTPEM fuel cells’ cathodic electrochemical interface, Giotakos, P.I., Neophytides, S.G., Electrochimica Acta Volume 292, 1 December 2018, Pages 285-291
- The photo-electrokinetics of the O2 evolution reaction on ZnO nanorods, Govatsi, K., Seferlis, A., Yannopoulos, S.N., Neophytides, S.G., Electrochimica Acta, Volume 298, 1 March 2019, Pages 587-598
- Thermal crosslinking of aromatic polyethers bearing pyridine groups for use as high temperature polymer electrolytes, Ioannis Kalamaras, Maria K. Daletou, Stylianos G. Neophytides, Joannis K. Kallitsis, Journal of Membrane Science 415416 (2012) 4250.
- Effect of Au and/or Mo doping on the development of carbon and sulfur tolerant anodes for SOFCs-A short review, Niakolas, D.K., Neofytidis, C.S., Neophytides, S.G., Frontiers in Environmental Science, Volume 5, Issue NOV, 14 November 2017, Article number 78
- The in situ electrochemical stable promotion of photoelectrocatalytic activity of TiO2 by pulsed reductive doping: Application in photoelectrochemical water splitting, Seferlis, A.K., Kollia, M.,Neophytides, S.G., Journal of the Electrochemical Society 162 (6), pp. H397-H402 (2015)
- Mitigation strategy towards stabilizing the Electrochemical Interface under high CO and H2O containing reformate gas feed, Orfanidi, A., Daletou, M.K., Neophytides, S.G., Electrochimica Acta 233, 2017, pp. 218-228
- Technological aspects of an auxiliary power unit with internal reforming methanol fuel cell, Papavasiliou, J., Schutt, C., Kolb, G., Neophytides, S., Avgouropoulos, G., International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44(25), May 2019, pp. 12818-12828