Dept. of Chemistry
University of Crete, Greece
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1989: PhD in Chemistry, University of Paris 7, France.
1985: MSc (DEA) in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics and Chemistry of Pollution, University of Paris 7, France.
1984: BSc. in Chemistry, Department of Chemistry University of Athens, Greece.
- Atmospheric chemistry and Physics with emphasis on the oxidation capacity of the atmosphere (both remote and polluted), physicochemical aerosol properties and their climatic role.
- Global biogeochemical cycles of carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur and their role on climate.
- Air sea- exchange
- Chemical kinetics
- Environmental Analytical chemistry
- Observations of key constituents of the atmosphere (greenhouse gases, aerosols).
- Trend analysis of long-term observations
2013-today: Director Institute for Environmental Research and Sustainable Development (ΙERSD), National Observatory of Athens (NOA) and vice-President of NOA.
2003–today: Professor of Environmental Chemistry, Department of Chemistry University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece
2011–today: Visiting Pofessor Cyprus Institute, Cyprus
12/2010–3/2011: Visiting Professor, University of Sapporo, Japan
1999–2003: Associate Professor of Environmental Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece
3/2002–7/2002: Visiting Professor, Max-Planck Institute of Chemistry, Mainz, Germany.
1993–1999: Assistant Professor of Environmental Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece
11/1991–8/1993: Military Service Laboratory of Spectroscopic Analysis of Fuels Air Force of Greece
2/1991–11/1991: Research Scientist, Centre des Faibles Radioactivités, CNRS Gif-sur Yvette, France.
6/1989–1/1991: Research Scientist, Physicalische Chemie, Bergische Universität, Wuppertal, Germany Ερευνητής, Physicalische Chemie, Bergische Universität, Wuppertal, Germany
4/1989–6/1989: Research Scientist, Centre des Faibles Radioactivités, CNRS, Gif-sur-Yvette, France
- Foundation Onassis (Grant for PhD thesis)
- Foundation of Greek state scholarships (Grant for PhD thesis)
- EU grant (Marie-Curie) for post doctorate studies in Germany
- Haagen-Smit Prize 2014 for highly cited work
- Ecopolis/Ecocity prizes: 2014 for IERSD work (as director), 2016 for my scientific achievements
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Principal Investigator (PI) in 18 European Competitive Projects and co- Principal Investigator (Co-PI) in 3 European Competitive Projects. PI in 14 National projects and Co-PI in 3 National projects.
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
345 publications in peer reviewed journals (2 Nature and 1 Science) and >100 in conference proceedings.
> 16000 citations (>14500 third party citations)
6 book chapters and 1 monograph. (Sources: ISI/Scopus, April 2018)
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
Invited talks: > 40
Participation at >200 international scientific conferences
Contributed talks/posters: > 600 (500 with abstracts and 100 with proceedings).
- Vice-President of IARA (International AeRosol Association).
- Association of Greek Chemists
- Vice-president of HAAR, Hellenic Association of Aerosol Research, member of European Association of Aerosol Research which organises European Aerosol Conference (on a yearly basis) and International Aerosol Conference –every 4 years.
- European Geophysical Society
Since 1994 and up to date, Undergraduate and post graduate courses at the University of Crete and other Greek Universities and foreign Research Centers
Advisor of 12 Post-docs, and supervision of 15 PhD, 36 MSc students and more than 60 undergraduate students for diploma thesis. Currenlty I am supervising 7 PhD and 2 MSc students. In addition I have acted as advisor for more than 60 PhD thesis and MSc degree students.
EDITORSHIP AND BOOKS
Editorial Board of Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (ACP, IF=5.52) http://www.atmos-chem-phys.org.
Guest editor of five special issues in ACP and one in Journal of Marine Sciences (JMS).
Member of scientific committee in more than 10 International conferences.
Referee for PhD Thesis in Foreign Universities and Reviewer for Proposals: 1) European Union (E.U.) 2) German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF), 3) General Secretary of Research and Technology (GSRT), 4) ANR-CNRS (France), 5) NSF (US), 6) NERC (UK).
- Mihalopoulos N*., Stephanou E., Pilitsidis S., Kanakidou M., Bousquet P., Atmospheric aerosol composition above the Eastern Mediterranean region, Tellus, 49B, 314-326, 1997.
- Kavouras I.G., Mihalopoulos N., Stephanou E.G., Formation of atmospheric particles from organic acids produced by forests, Nature, 395, 683-686, 1998.
- Kouvarakis G., Tsigaridis K., Kanakidou M., and N. Mihalopoulos*, Temporal variations of surface regional background ozone over Crete Island in the Southeast Mediterranean. J. Geophys. Res., 105, 4,399 – 4,407, 2000.
- Kouvarakis, G., N. Mihalopoulos*, Tselepides T., Stavrakakis S., On the importance of atmospheric nitrogen inputs on the productivity of Eastern Mediterranean, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 15, 805-818, 2001.
- Kouvarakis G., Bardouki H., and N. Mihalopoulos*, Sulfur budget above the Eastern Mediterranean: Relative contribution of anthropogenic and biogenic sources, Tellus, 54B, 201-212, 2002.
- Bardouki H., Barcellos da Rosa M., N. Mihalopoulos*, Palm U., and Zetzsch C., Kinetics and Mechanism of the Oxidation of Dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) and Methanesulphinate (MSI-) by OH Radicals in Aqueous Medium, Atmos. Environ., 36, 4627-4634, 2002.
- Lelieveld J., Berresheim H., Borrmann S., Crutzen P. J., Dentener F. J., Fischer H., Feichter J., Flatau P. J., Heland J., Holzinger R., Korrmann R., Lawrence M. G., Levin Z., Markowicz K. M., Mihalopoulos N., Minikin A., Ramanathan V., de Reus M., Roelofs G. J., Scheeren H. A., Sciare J., Schlager H., Schultz M., Siegmund P., Steil B., Stephanou E. G., Stier P., Traub M., Warneke C., Williams J., Ziereis H., Global Air Pollution Crossroads over the Mediterranean, Science, 298, 794-799, 2002.
- Sciare, J., H. Bardouki, C. Moulin, and N. Mihalopoulos*, Aerosol sources and their contribution to the chemical composition of aerosols in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea during summertime, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 3, 291-302, 2003.
- Z. Markaki, K. Oikonomou, M. Kocak, G. Kouvarakis, A. Chaniotaki, N. Kubilay and N. Mihalopoulos*, Atmospheric deposition of inorganic phosphorus in the Levantine Basin, Eastern Mediterranean: Spatial, temporal variability and its role on the productivity of the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, Limnol. Oceanogr., 48: 1557-1568, 2003.
- Bardouki, H., Berresheim, H., Sciare, J., Vrekoussis, M., Kouvarakis, G., Oikonomou, C, Schneider, J., N. Mihalopoulos*, Gaseous (DMS, DMSO, SO2, H2SO4, MSA) and particulate (MS– and SO42-) sulfur compounds during the MINOS campaign, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 3, 1871-1886, 2003.
- Bardouki H., Liakakou H., Economou C., Smolik J., Zdimal V., Eleftheriadis K., Lazaridis M. and N. Mihalopoulos*, Chemical Composition of Size Resolved Atmospheric Aerosols in the Eastern Mediterranean During Summer and Winter, Atmos. Environ., 37, 195-208, 2003.
- Barnes, I., Jens Hjorth and Nikos Mihalopoulos, Dimethyl Sulfide and Dimethyl Sulfoxide and Their Oxidation in the Atmosphere, Chem. Rev. 106, 940-975, 2006.
- Gerasopoulos, E., G. Kouvarakis, P. Babasakalis, M. Vrekoussis, J.-P. Putaud, and N. Mihalopoulos*, Origin and variability of particulate matter (PM10) mass concentrations over the Eastern Mediterranean, Atmos. Environ., 40, 4679-4690, 2006.
- Gerasopoulos, E., E. Koulouri, N. Kalivitis, G. Kouvarakis, S. Saarikoski, T. Makela, R. Hillamo, and Mihalopoulos*, Size-segregated mass distributions of aerosols over Eastern Mediterranean: seasonal variability and comparison with AERONET columnar size-distributions, Atmos. Chem. Phys., SRef-ID: 1680-7324/acp/2007-7-2551.
- Mihalopoulos* N., V.M. Kerminen, M. Kanakidou, H. Berresheim and J. Sciare, Formation of particulate sulfur species (sulfate and methanesulfonate) during summer over the Eastern Mediterranean: A modelling approach , Atmos. Environ., Volume 41, Issue 32, , Pages 6860-6871, October 2007.
- Bougiatioti A, Fountoukis C, Kalivitis N, Pandis SN, Nenes A, Mihalopoulos N*, Cloud condensation nuclei measurements in the marine boundary layer of the eastern Mediterranean: CCN closure and droplet growth kinetics, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 9 (18): 7053-7066, 2009.
- Mara, P., Mihalopoulos N*, A. Gogou, K. Daehnke, T. Schlarbaum, K. Emeis, and M. Krom (2009), Isotopic composition of nitrate in wet and dry atmospheric deposition on Crete in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 23, GB4002, doi:10.1029/2008GB003395.
- Z. Markaki, M.D. Loye-Pilot, K. Violaki, L. Benyahya and N.Mihalopoulos*, Variability of atmospheric deposition of dissolved nitrogen and phosphorus in the Mediterranean and possible link to the anomalous seawater N/P ratio, Marine Chemistry, 120 (1-4), pp. 187-194, 2010.
- Theodosi, C., Grivas, G., Zarmpas, P., Chaloulakou, A., Mihalopoulos, N*., Mass and chemical composition of size-segregated aerosols (PM1, PM2.5, PM10) over Athens, Greece: Local versus regional sources, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11 (22) , pp. 11895-11911, 2011.
- C. Theodosi, S. Stavrakakis, F. Koulaki, I. Stavrakaki, S. Moncheva, E. Papathanasiou, A. Sanchez-Vidal, M. Kocak, N. Mihalopoulos*, The significance of atmospheric inputs of major and trace metals to the Black Sea, Journal of Marine Systems, Available online 2 March 2012.