University of Belgrade, Serbia
(deceased, Oct. 11, 2022)
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1970: PhD in Electrochemical Engineering and Technology, Dept. Phys. Chem., Faculty of Technology and Metallurgy, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
1958: Diploma in Phys. Chem. Electrochem., Dept. Phys. Chem., Faculty of Technology and Metallurgy, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Electrocatalysis of Oxygen (ORR) and Hydrogen (HER) Electrode Reactions and Spillover Phenomena in Electrocatalysis. Revertible PEMFC versus WE (Water Electrolysis) Based on Reversible Alterpolar Changes of Compatible Multifunctional Electrocatalysts and Their Spillover Interplay. Advances in Chlorate and Chlorine Cell Processes, Plant and Electrolyser Projects, Hydrodynamic Flow Visualization by Corresponding Macromorphology of Metal Deposit, Improvements in Zinc Electrowinning, Potentiodynamic in Heavy Water Media.
2010-today: Honorary Affiliated Scientist, FORTH/ICE-HT
1978-2000: Professor in Phys. Chem., University of Belgrade, Faculty of Agriculture, Inst. Food Technol., Belgrade, Serbia.
1966-1978: Principal Investigator, Inst. Electrochem., IHTM, Belgrade, Serbia
1958-1966: Manager Chlorine Chlorate Plant, Factory “Jugovinil”, Split, Yugoslavia.
- 1963-1976: Professor in Electrochemical Processes, University of Split, Faculty of Technology, Split, Yugoslavia.
- 1976-1978: Fulbright-Huys Grantee, Postdoc. Fellowship, University of California, Dept. Chem. Eng., Berkeley, CA, with Professor C.W. Tobias, in Electrochemical Engineering.
- 1984: Visiting Professor, University of California, Dept. Chem. Eng., Berkeley, CA, with Professor John Newman, in Electrochemical Eng.
- 1989-1990: Visiting Professor, University of Trondheim, NTH, Trondheim, Norway, with Professor Reidar Tunold, in Electrocatalysis.
- 1992-1994, 2000: Visiting Professor, University of Patras, Dept, Chem. Eng., with Professor Costas G. Vayenas, in Electrochemical NEMCA Promotion of Catalysts.
- 2001-2006: Visiting Professor, FORTH/ICE-HT, Patras, with Dr. Stylianos Neophytides, EU projects in Electrocatalysis.
- 1974: October Belgrade City Award for Contributions in Physical, Mathematical and Technical Sciences.
- 1999: Annual Award of Union of University Professors of Serbia.
- 2002: Honored Citizen of his Native Town Aleksandrovac, Serbia.
- 2004: Journal for New Materials in Electrochemical Systems dedicated two issues to give a sign to Professor Jaksic 70th anniversary with contributions of leading electrochemists worldwide and analyze his achievements in the science.
- 2006: IAHE (International Association of Hydrogen Energy) ‘Sir William Grove Award’ for Outstanding Contributions to the Theory of Electrocatalysis in Hydrogen Electrode Reactions.
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Won the very first EU project on Electrocatalysis in 1992 (soon being under UN sanctions against SR Yugoslavia), later participated on EU IP6 project acronym Apollon, 2001 and EU INCO Copernicus, acronym Prometheas, both in electrocatalysis for PEMFC and WE (Water Electrolysis), as well as on more than ten Yugoslav domestic projects and one bilateral Greece-Serbia (1999).
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
More than 120 papers in peer reviewed international scientific journals, three chapters, mostly in electrocatalysis. Guest-Editor of the special issue of ‘Advances in Physical Chemistry’ dedicated to “Advances in Electrocatalysis”, 2011.
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
With coworkers and students more than 400 scientific papers at leading international scientific events, more than 100 plenary, keynote and seminars at leading universities worldwide.
ORGANIZATION OF CONFERENCES
Along with distinguished Professors Sergio Trasatti, University of Milan, Italy and Hartmut Wendt, Technische Hochschule Darmstadt, Deutschland organized under ICE sponsorship the following scientific conferences, which was honored by ‘Marie Curie’ estimation of excellence:
- First International Conference on Electrocatalysis, 1st ECS’83. Neunkirchen am Brandt, Germany, 1983.
- Second International Conference on Electrocatalysis, 2nd ECS’93, Ferrara, Italy, 1993.
- Third International Conference on Electrocatalysis, 3rd ECS’99, Portorose, Slovenia, 1999 (M. M. Jaksic Chairman).
- Forth International Conference on Electrocatalysis, 4th ECS, Como, Italy, 2002.
- Fifth International Conference on electrocatalysis, 5th ECS, Kotor, Montenegro, 2006 (M. M. Jaksic Chairman).
- M. M. Jaksic, I. M. Csonka, ‘Acceleration of Sodium Amalgam Decomposition by Depolarisation with Molybdenized Graphite in the Mercury Cell Process’, Electrochemical Technology, 4 (1966) 49-56.
- M. M. Jaksic, A. R. Despic, I. M. Csonka, B. Z. Nikolic, ‘Studies on Chlorate Cell Process. V. Theory and Practice of Modified Technology for Electrolytic Chlorate Production’, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 116 (1969) 1316-1322.
- A. R. Despic, M. M. Jaksic, B. Z. Nikolic, ‘The Effect of Kinetic and Hydrodynamic Factors on Current Efficiency in the Chlorate Cell Process’, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 2 (1972) 337-343.
- M. M. Jaksic, ‘Mass Transfer and Optimization of Faradaic Yields in a Chlorate Cell Process’, Electrochimica Acta, 21 (1976) 1127-1136.
- I. Rousar, V. Cezner, J. Nejepsova, M. M. Jaksic , M. Spasojevic, B.Z. Nikolic, ‘Calculation of Local Current Densities and Terminal Voltage for Monopolar Sandwich Electrolyser: Application to Chlorate Cells’, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 7 (1977) 427-435.
- M. M. Jaksic, C. W. Tobias, ‘Hydrodynamic Flow Visualization by an Electrochemical Method’, in Flow Visualization II, pp. 647-655, W. Merzkirch, Editor, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, Washington, 1982.
- M. D. Spasojevic, N. V. Krstajic, M. M. Jaksic, ‘Optimization of an Anodic Electrocatalyst: RuO2/TiO2 on Titanium’, Journal of Research Institute for Catalysis, Hokkaido University, 31 (1983) 77-94.
- N. Krstajic, M. Spasojevic, M. Jaksic, ‘A Selective Catalyst for Titanium Anodes: Development and Optimization. I. Catalyst Structure, Activity and Durability’, Journal of Research Institute for Catalysis, Hokkaido University, 32 (1984) 19-28.
- M. Spasojevic, N. Krstajic, M. Jaksic, ‘A Selective Catalyst for Titanium Anodes: Development and Optimization. II. Selectivity Features’, Journal of Research Institute for Catalysis, Hokkaido University, 32 (1984) 29-36.
- M. M. Jaksic, ‘Electrocatalysis of Hydrogen Evolution in the Light of the Brewer-Engel Theory for Bonding in Metals and Intermetallic Phases’, Electrochimica Acta, 29 (1984) 1539-1550.
- M. M. Jaksic, J. Newman, ‘The Kramers – Kronig Relations and Evaluation of Impedance for a Disk Electrode’, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 133 (1986) 1097-1101.
- M. M. Jaksic, ‘Advances in Electrocatalysis for Hydrogen Evolution in the Light of the Brewer-Engel Valence-Bond Theory’, Journal of Molecular Catalysis, 38 (1986) 161-202.
- M. M. Jaksic, ‘Hydrodynamic Effects on the Macromorphology of Electrodeposited Zinc and Flow Visualization. The Rotating Disk Electrode’, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 249 (1988) 63-88.
- A. Jokic, N. Ristic, M. M. Jaksic, M. Spasojevic, N. Krstajic, ‘Simultaneous Electrolytic Production of Xylitol and Xylonic Acid from Xylose’, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 21 (1991) 321-326.
- D. Stojic, S. Miljanic, T. Grozdic, M. M. Jaksic, ‘Electrolytic Deuterium/Hydrogen Isotope Separation: Temperature Dependence and in Situ Activation Effects’, Acta Chemica Scandinavica, 46 (1992) 111-115.
- S. Neophytides, D. Tsiplakides, P. Stonehart, M. M. Jaksic, C. Vayenas, ‘Electrochemical Enhancement of a Catalytic Reaction in Aqueous Solution’, Nature, 370 (1994) 45-47, July 1994.
- C. G. Vayenas, M. M. Jaksic, S. I. Bebelis, S. G. Neophytides, ‘The Electrochemical Activation of Catalytic Reactions’, in J.O.’M. Bockris, B.E. Conway and R.E. White, Eds., ‘Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry’, Vol. 29, pp. 57-202, Plenum Press, New York, 1996.
- S. G. Neophytides, D. Tsiplakides, P. Stonehart, M. M. Jaksic, C. G. Vayenas, ‘Non-Faradaic Electrochemical Modification of the Catalytic Activity of Pt for H2 Oxidation in Aqueous Alkaline Media’, Journal of Physical Chemistry, 100 (35) (1996) 14803-14814.
- D. Tsiplakides, S. G. Neophytides, O. Enea, M. M. Jaksic, C. G. Vayenas, ‘Non-Faradaic Electrochemical Modification of the Catalytic Activity of Pt-Black Electrodes Deposited on Nafion 117 Solid Polymer Electrodes’, Journal of Electrochemical Society, 144 (6) (1997) 2072-2078.
- N. M. Ristic, M. Kotorcevic, C. M. Lacnjevac, A. M. Jokic, M. M. Jaksic, Some Specific Potentiodynamic Behaviour of Certain Aldehydes and Monosaccharides. 1. Some Simple and Some Specific Aldehydes, Electrochimica Acta, 45, (2000) 2973-2989.
- M. M. Jaksic, Volcano Plots along the Periodic Table, Their Causes and Consequences on Electrocatalysis for Hydrogen Electrode Reactions, Journal of New Materials in Electrochemical Systems, 3, (2000) 153-168.
- M. M. Jaksic, ‘Hypo-Hyper-d-Electronic Interactive Nature of Synergism in Catalysis and Electrocatalysis for Hydrogen Reactions’, Electrochimica Acta, 45, (2000) 4085-4099.
- S. G. Neophytides, S. H. Zafeiratos, M. M. Jaksic, Selective Interactive Grafting of Composite Bifunctional Electrocatalysts for Simultaneous Anodic Hydrogen and CO Oxidation, I. Theoretical Concepts and Embodiment of Novel Type Composite Catalysts, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 150 (2003) E512-E526.
- S. G. Neophytides, S. Zafeiratos, G. D. Papkonstantinou, J. M. Jaksic, F. E. Paloukis, M. M. Jaksic, Extended Brewer Hypo-Hyper-d-Interionic Bonding Theory, I. Theoretical Considerations and Examples for Its Experimental Confirmation, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 30 (2005) 131-147.
- S. G. Neophytides, S. Zafeiratos, G. D. Papkonstantinou, J. M. Jaksic, F. E. Paloukis, M. M. Jaksic, Extended Brewer Hypo-Hyper-d-Interionic Bonding Theory, II. Strong Metal-Support Interaction Grafting of Composite Electrocatalysts, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 30 (2005) 393-410.
- S. Zafeiratos, G. Papakonstantinou, M. M. Jaksic, S. G. Neophytides, The Effect of Mo Oxides and TiO2 Support on the Chemisorption Features of the Linearly Adsorbed CO on Pt Crystallites: An Infrared and Photoelectron Spectroscopy Study, Journal of Catalysis, 232 (2005) 127-136.
- J. M. Jaksic, Lj. Vracar, S. G. Neophytides, S. Zafeiratos, G. Papakonstantinou, N. V. Krstajic, M. M. Jaksic, Structural Effects on Kinetic Properties for Hydrogen Electrode Reactions and CO Tolerance along Mo-Pt Phase Diagram, Surface Science, 598 (2005) 156-173.
- Jaksic, M. M., Botton, G. A., Papakonstantinou, G. D., Nan, F., Jaksic, J. M., ‘Primary oxide latent storage and spillover enabling electrocatalysts with reversible oxygen electrode properties and the alterpolar revertible (PEMFC versus WE) cell’, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 118 (2014), 8723-8746.