Dept. of Chemical Engineering
University of Patras, Greece
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1994: PhD in Chemical Engineering, Univ. of Delaware, USA
1988: Diploma in Chemical Engineering, NTU, Athens, Greece
- Modeling and simulation of polymers and of soft nanostructured polymeric materials at multiple time and length scales (atomistic, mesoscopic, macroscopic)
- Chain dynamics and rheology (viscoelasticity) in polymers as a function of the molecular architecture of the chains (linear, branched, rings)
- Thermodynamics of complex fluids under non-equilibrium conditions
- Constitutive modeling of polymer melt viscoelasticity
- Calculation of multi-time correlation functions in dissipative quantum field theories
- Structure and dynamics of nanoparticles
2011 – today: Professor, Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Patras
2003-2011: Associate Professor, Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Patras
2001-2003: Principal Researcher, FORTH/ICE-HT
1997-2001: Associate Researcher, FORTH/ICE-HT
1996-1997: Post-Doctoral Fellow, FORTH/ICE-HT & Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Patras
1994-1996: Greek Army
1989-1994: Research Assistant, Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Delaware, USA
1988-1989: Research Assistant, Dept. of Technical Chemistry, ETH-Zurich, Switzerland
- Several Journal covers and best poster awards
- Alan P. Colburn Best Engineering PhD Thesis Award, Univ. of Delaware (1993-1994)
- University of Delaware Competitive Fellowship (1991-1992)
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Excellence Awards, annually 1983-1988, NTU, Athens
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Participation in 8 European (Horizon, FP7, Growth, Marie-Curie, Brite-Euram) programmes, in 2 of them as project coordinator.
Participation in 12 Greek (Synergasia, Pened, Akmon, Pythagoras, Caratheodori) programmes, in 4 of them as project coordinator.
Participation in 4 industrial projects (with Unilever, BP-Amoco, and Dow Benelux/Dow Chemicals).
Participation in 2 NATO programmes.
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
125 refereed journal papers. 78 papers in non-referred conference proceedings. 1 book (Statistical Thermodynamics) for the Hellenic Open University. 1 book in preparation (with Doros N. Theodorou: Multi-scale Modelling of Polymers) for Oxford University Press. 11 chapters in books. 4 Special Journal Volumes Edited.
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
Presentation in 290 international and national conferences. 35 invited lectures in Universities, Research Centres and Conferences.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Secretary-Treasurer, Hellenic Society of Rheology (HSR), September 2006-to date.
- President of the Hellenic Society of Rheology (HSR), September 2004-September 2006.
- Director, Inter-department Programme of Graduate Studies on “Polymer Science and Technology”, University of Patras, 2003-2013.
- Section Editor-in-Chief, Polymer Physics, Polymers, MDPI (since 2020).
- Associate Editor, Soft Matter Physics, Frontiers in Physics (since 2018).
- Member, International Advisory Board, Macromolecular Theory and Simulation, Wiley-VCH, Germany (since 2005).
Undergaduate: Physical Chemistry, Technical Thermodynamics and Balances, Mass Transfer, Special topics in Physical Chemistry
Graduate: Thermodynamics, Polymer Rheology, Statistical Mechanics and Molecular Simulation, Diffusional Operations.
- V.G. Mavrantzas, “Using Monte Carlo to simulate complex polymer systems: Recent progress and outlook”, Frontiers in Physics 2021, 9, 661367.
- E.N. Skountzos, D.G. Tsalikis, P.S. Stephanou, V.G. Mavrantzas, “Individual contributions of adsorbed and free chains to microscopic dynamics of unentangled poly(ethylene glycol) – silica nanocomposite melts and the important role of end groups: Theory and simulation”, Macromolecules 2021, 54, 4470-4487.
- S.D. Peroukidis, D.G. Mintis, I. Stott, V.G. Mavrantzas, “Molecular simulation of the morphology and viscosity of aqueous micellar solutions of sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLEnS)”, J. Physics: Materials 2021, 4, 044001.
- A. Weyman, V.G. Mavrantzas, H.C. Ottinger, “Field-theoretic simulations beyond δ-interactions: Overcoming the inverse potential problem in auxiliary field models”, J. Chem. Phys. 2021, 155, 024106.
- E.N. Skountzos, K.S. Karadima, V.G. Mavrantzas, “Structure and dynamics of highly attractive polymer nanocomposites in the semi-dilute regime: The role of interfacial domains and bridging chains”, Polymers 2021, 13, 2749.
- P.V. Alatas, V.G. Mavrantzas, H.C. Ottinger, “Third-order perturbation expansion of the two-point correlation function of the dissipative quantum φ4 theory”, Phys. Rev. D 2021, 104, 076007 (2021).