Head of Metabolic Engineering and Systems Biology Lab (MESBL)
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
2002: Postdoctoral Fellow, Eukaryotic Functional Genomics & Bioinformatics Group, The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR) (currently The J. Craig Venter Institute), USA
2001: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Metabolic Engineering Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
2001: Ph.D., Metabolic Engineering Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
1995: Diploma of Engineering (5 years), School of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (N.T.U.A.), Greece
Maria I. Klapa has founded and is heading the FORTH/ICE-HT Metabolic Engineering and Systems Biology Laboratory (MESBL). MESBL research focuses on:
(a) the development and application of experimental and computational protocols and tools for the standardized analysis of metabolic network activity using metabolomics and metabolic flux analysis (fluxomics),
(b) quantitative systems biology with emphasis in the integrated analyses of high-throughput “omic” data from various levels of cellular function (multi-omics), and
(c) the mathematical modeling of biological systems and networks, focusing on metabolic and protein interaction networks; applications concern all colors of biotechnology.
MESBL was the first to establish metabolomics research in South-Eastern Europe and carries significant expertise in the standardization of Gas Chromatography – Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) metabolomics and metabolic network reconstruction. MESBL participates to the Expert Center for Metabolomics (EXCEMET) since 2015, a consortium of European metabolomics expert laboratories (mainly in biomedical applications) and to the European Metabolomics Institute (EMI) Foundation. M. Klapa is the Technical Coordinator (since 09/2020) and leads the computational metabolomics and protein interactomics pilot-study of ELIXIR-GR and the “Standardizing the fluxomics workflows” Implementation Study of ELIXIR-Europe Metabolomics Community (2019-2021).
07/2005 – 07/2018: Adjunct Professor, Chemical & Biomolecular Eng. and Bioengineering Depts, University of Maryland College Park (UMCP), MD 20742, USA
2004-2010: Associate Researcher, Head of Metabolic Engineering & Systems Biology Lab, FORTH/ICE-HT, Patras, GR
01/2004-06/2005: Assistant Professor, Bioengineering Graduate Program, UMCP, USA
08/2002-06/2005: Assistant Professor, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Dept., UMCP, USA
01/2002-08/2002: Adjunct Assistant Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, UMCP, USA
01/2002-08/2002: Postdoctoral Fellow, The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR) (currently The J. Craig Venter Institute), Rockville, MD, USA
10/2001-12/2001: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Metabolic Engineering Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
09/1995-09/2001: Graduate Research Assistant (with MIT fellowship), Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
09-1990-07/1995: Undergraduate student, School of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (N.T.U.A.), Greece
09/1994-07/1995: Diploma Thesis in Numerical Analysis in Transport Phenomena in Prof. Andreas Boudouvis’ lab;
07/1994-09/1994: Summer Trainee, The von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Belgium
07/1993-09/1993: Summer Intern, Hellenic Cement Research Center, Hercules Group (AGET), Likovrissi, Greece
- International Program Committee (IPC) Chair of the Foundations of Systems Biology in Engineering Conference (FOSBE) August 2022, USA
- Editorial Board Member, Current Opinion in Biotechnology Journal, Impact factor: 9.740 (April 2021)
- Elected Technical Coordinator of ELIXIR-Greece Node by the Board effective Sep 1 2020 (June 2020)
- Guest Editor of 2019 Special Issue “Systems Biology” in Current Opinion in Biotechnology impact factor: 9.740
- Early-career Members Network of the Metabolomics Society (EMN) Travel Grant Award 2019 (1 of 2) to PhD Student M.-K. Ioannidi for collaborative study of my lab, 15th International Conference of the Metabolomics Society, Netherlands (June 2019)
- Feature article “The clinical relevance of metabolomics”, European Society for Pediatric Endocrinology (ESPE) Newsletter, Autumn 2018.
- 8 Best Oral Presentation Awards in scientific conferences/workshops to graduate students/post-dos for collaborative studies of my lab (2012-2018);
3rd Conference of the Association of Medical Geneticists of Greece (2018); 7th Conference of the Hellenic Society of Medical Mycology (2017); 2nd workshop of Graduate Students and Postdocs in Chemical Engineering Sciences, Patras (2016; 2); 10th Conference of the Hellenic Society for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, HSCBB15 (2015); 1st FORTH/ICE-HT workshop of Graduate Students and Postdocs (2015); Metabolomics Series -GR Workshop III (2014); 8th Annual Meeting of the Panhellenic Association of Bioscientists (2012)
- 15 Best Poster Presentation Awards in scientific conferences/workshops to graduate students/post-docs for collaborative studies of my lab (2003-2019);
14th Conference of the Hellenic Society for Computational Biology & Bioinformatics (HSCBB19) (2019, 2 awards); 8th Conference of the Hellenic Scientific Society of MIKROBIOKOSMOS (2019); Joint Conference of the Hellenic Crystallographic Association and the Hellenic Society for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (HeCrA – HSCBB16) (2017); 2nd workshop of Graduate Students and Postdocs in Chemical Engineering Sciences (2016); 22nd Scientific Conference of Greek Medical School Students (2016, e-poster accompanied by 10-page paper); Metabolomics Series -GR Workshop III (2014); Genomic Medicine in the Mediterranean (GM2), 2013; 7th East Mediterranean Chemical Engineering Conference (EMCC7), 2012; 5th & 6th Conference of the Hellenic Society for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (2010, 2011); AIChE Annual Meeting (2006); ResearchFest of the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department, University of Maryland (2006); 19th Panhellenic Neuroscience Conference (2005); U. Maryland Bioscience Day (2003).
- G. Tollis Award for 2014 best basic research in Endocrinology publication in international peer-reviewed journal by Hellenic Society of Endocrinology members for “Gkourogianni et al. PLOS One 9:e94001 (2014)”, 42nd Panhellenic Congress of Endocrinology and Metabolism (2015).
- Distinction of Basic Research for the study Tsare E.-P., Gioutlakis A., Klapa MI & Moschonas NK. The architecture of diseases in the context of the human protein-protein interaction network (interactome), 41st Annual Panhellenic Medical Conference, Athens, GR (2015).
- FORTH/ICE-HT Metabolic Engineering & Systems Biology Laboratory becomes member of the European Consortium Expert Center for Metabolomics – EXCEMET, June 2015.
- Keynote (semi-plenary) Lecture, Computer Applications in Biotechnology (CAB 2013) Conference, Mumbai, India, December 16-18, 2013.
- Publication characterized as Highly Accessed in BMC Systems Biology: Klapa M.I., Tsafou K., Theodoridis E., Tsakalidis A., Moschonas N. K. Reconstruction of the experimentally-supported human protein interactome: what can we learn? BMC Systems Biology 7:96 (Oct 2013).
- Study of Gkourogianni A., Kosteria I., Telonis A., ., Kanaka C., Klapa MI, Chroussos G. “Indices of Insulin Resistance in Children Born after Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI): Biochemical and Metabolomics Analyses” was singled out for special media attention as particularly newsworthy in the annual Research Summaries Book (RSB) of ENDO 2013 by the Advocacy and Public Outreach Core Committee of The Endocrine Society, San Francisco, USA, June 15-18 2013.
- Selected in the group of 8 young principal investigators whose research in Greece was highlighted as cutting-edge in the first TEDMED Live in Athens event, April 21 2013.
- Invited as 1 of the 2 representatives of Greece in systems biology research to the 5th Meeting of the Spanish Network of Systems Biology: Fostering Systems and Synthetic Biology in Southern Europe, Madrid, Spain, December 13-15 2009.
- Selected in the 16 European researchers’ team (out of 140 applications) to participate to the ΕU-India Cooperation Days workshop, New Delhi, India, November 4-6 2009.
- 2005 Outstanding University of Maryland Invention of the Year Award in the field of Information Sciences (along with my (then) Ph.D. student HH Kanani) from the Office of Technology Commercialization, University of Maryland, USA, for the invention “Data Normalization Strategy for Metabolomic Profiling Analysis” (#3 in Patents), April 10, 2006.
- Second Prize in the 2006 Business Plan Competition of the U. of Maryland (out of 58 participating teams and 16 semifinalists) in the Graduate Student-Faculty category for the business plan of startup company “Metatropi” (based on the invention stated in #6 of Prizes/Awards), April 7, 2006.
- Official Invitation to join the US Department of Energy (DOE) Advisory Board on Basic Biological Research for 2 years, November 2005 ; had to decline due to my move to Greece.
- First Invited Speaker of the Seminar Series organized by the Canadian Chair for the Development of Metabolic Engineering Tools at the Chemical Engineering Department of Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Canada. This seminar series invites junior faculty, who have been heading a laboratory for less than five years and have made important contributions to the field of Metabolic Engineering, April 5, 2004.
- Graduate Student Travel Grant (1 of 3) from Topical Conference in Bioinformatics and Genomics organized within the Annual AIChE Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, USA, Nov 12-17, 2000.
- Prize (Silver Medal) for the highest GPA in the 1990-1995 Chemical Engineering class from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece, April 1997
- Associate Member of Sigma Xi Research Society, since September 1997
- Fellowship from Empeirikion Foundation, Athens, Greece to fund 5 semesters of my PhD studies in the US, January 1997.
- Prize from the Technical Chamber of Greece for outstanding academic performance, January 1996
- Graduate Research Assistant Fellowship from MIT Department of Chemical Engineering, Cambridge, MA, USA, September 1995-August 2001.
- Awards from the Greek State Fellowship Foundation (IKY) for outstanding academic performance, annually, 1991-1994
- Prize from the National Technical University of Athens for 10th best entry grade to ChemE in the 1990 Panhellenic Baccalaureat Exam, 1991.
B. Editorial Boards – Scientific Reviewing for International Journals
- Editorial Board Member, Current Opinion in Biotechnology, since 2021
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Microbiology focus Systems Microbiology, since 2019
- Editorial Board Member, Microbial Cell Factories (BMC), since 2005
- Editorial Board Member, AIMS Bioengineering, since 2015
- Guest Editor, Special Issue “Systems Biology 2019”, Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 2018-2019
- Guest Editor, Frontiers in Genetics focus Human and Medical Genomics, Special Topic “Exploring GWAS data by biomolecular network analysis in revealing genetic disease mechanisms” (2021)
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Systems Biology, focus Data and Model Integration, since 2021
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences, focus Metabolomics, since 2016
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Neuroenergetics, nutrition and brain health (Neurosciences), since 2017
- Reviewer of Major Scientific Journals in Biochemical Eng, Metabolic Eng., Biomedical Eng., Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics & Systems Biology , since 2001
C. Academic & Science Management & Committee Service Activities
- Served as research proposal review panel member for US Department of Energy (DOE) for the Genome to Life Program (September 2003); NIH for National Centers of Systems Biology (March 2004); NSF for the a) Quantitative Systems Biology Program (May 2004), b) IGERT funding for Graduate Programs in Nanobiotechnology/Pre-proposals (Oct 2004), c) Multiscale Systems Modeling (Feb 2005) & d) unsolicited proposals in Biotechnology (May 2007)
- Served as research proposal review panel member for Horizon 2020 & EC FP7 in KBBE and HEALTH areas: a) FP7-KBBE-2007-2 Phase I (Oct 2007), b) FP7-KBBE-2007-3 (March 2009), c) FP7-ΗΕALTH-2009-3 (Feb 2010), d) FP7-HEALTH-2010-4 (Jan 2011), e) FP7-HEALTH Systems Biology (Nov 2011); expert reviewer for grant in metabolomics (Nov 2013), f) Horizon 2020 Biotechnology program (2015)
- Served as research proposal review panel member for HFRI (Hellenic Foundation for Research and Innovation) in the Life Sciences division (since 2017)
- Served as remote evaluator for proposals to the FET program (2017; 2019).
- Served as ad-hoc reviewer for US NSF and USDA in Bioengineering, Molecular Biology, Plant Genetics/Genomics and NSF CAREER awards (2003-2010); for NSERC also for Canadian Chairs in Biological Engineering, (2003-2011); for NCBR, Poland in “Prevention practices and treatment of civilization diseases – STRATEGMED” Strategic Program (2013)
- Chair, Greek steering committee for the organization of East Mediterranean Chemical Engineering Conferences (since 2014)
- Chair of the FORTH Gender Equality Committee (since April 2021);
- Member of the FORTH Bioethics and Research Ethics Committee (since 2016); Vice Chair since 11/2019;
- Member, Organizing Committee of FORTH Scientific Retreat workshop (2007; 2009); Committee Chair (2019)
- Chair, FORTH/ICE-HT Institute Research Promotion/Dissemination Committee since 2018
- Member, FORTH/ICE-HT Seminar Series Committee since 2007; Committee Chair (2014-2017)
- Member. FORTH/ICE-HT Large Equipment Facility Services committee since 2007
- Chair, FORTH/ICE-HT Committee for Junior High and High-School student visits (2011-2015)
- Member, Organizing Committee of FORTH/ICE-HT Science Fair for high-school students (2004); Committee chair (2005-2006)
- Member, Graduate Studies Committee, Chemical Engineering Department (ChemE), University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP), USA (2002-2004)
- Member, Evaluation Committee of applications to ChemE NSF-funded REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) Program, UMCP, USA (2003)
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
2021-2026 Η2020 project AIDPATH “Artificial Intelligence-driven, Decentralized Production for Advanced Therapies in the Hospital” (Grant agreement 101016909) (M. Klapa: FORTH/ICE-HT team co-PI leading the metabolomics research)
2020-2025 Η2020 SC1-BHC-07-2019 project JointPromise “Regenerative medicine: from new insights to new applications” (Grant agreement 874837) (M. Klapa: FORTH/ICE-HT team co-PI leading the involved metabolomics research)
2019-2021 ELIXIR-EU Metabolomics Community-Initiated “Standardizing the fluxomics workflows” Implementation Study (M. Klapa: Coordinator) – 14 National ELIXIR Nodes participating
2017-2021 National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Project ELIXIR-GR (M. Klapa: PI of FORTH/ICE-HT team; coordinator of the computational metabolomics and protein interactomics pilot study)
2017-2021 Institutional Project ΒΙΤΑΔ (Biomedical Technology & Agro-nutrition), funded by EPAnEK 2014-2020
(M. Klapa: Coordinator of FORTH/ICE-HT sub-project involving 10 FORTH/ICE-HT research groups)
2013-2015 Institutional Project BIOSYS (Systems Biology), Action KRIPIS No MIS-448301 funded by NSRF 2007-2013 (M. Klapa: Coordinator of FORTH/ICE-HT team)
PI/co-PI/partner in 25 grants in total
Quantitative Systems Biology (QSB) Program, US-NSF (1 @ UMCP, USA; 2003-2007);
EC FP6 Program (2 in total; 1 in NMP – Networks of Excellence completed by 2008 (granted also a mobility program grant from this network for organizing a workshop) and 1 in IST-Large Scale Project completed by 2010);
EC FP7 Program (2 in total; 1 in HEALTH-Large Scale Program completed by 2012 and 1 in Synthetic Biology (completed); awarded also a travel grant for participation in an annual report meeting of EUROBIOTECH project);
EC Horizon2020 Program (7 in total; 5 ELIXIR Internal Funding Grants: for Implementation Studies (IS) 1& 2 of the ELIXIR Metabolomics Community, for IS 1 of ELIXIR Microbial Biotechnology Community; for 2 IS in Containers; 3 Large Scale Projects: AIDPATH, JointPromise and DIAGONAL);
National Grants (9 in total, 4 completed – 1 in Agrobiotechnology; 5 active – 1 institutional in Biosciences, 1 of bioinformatics national infrastructure (ELIXIR-GR – partner) , 1 of the structural biology national infrastructure (INSPIRED – partner), 1 of translational medicine infrastructure (EATRIS-GR – partner); 1 in Energy/Synthetic Biology; 1 in Plant Omic Analysis)-,
1 research service contract with a pharmaceutical company (BAYER HealthCare LLC, USA, completed) and
2 research service contracts with biobank/academic laboratories (U. Uppsala, Sweden) (completed).
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
For full bibliographical information, view M. I. Klapa’s Google Scholar account
M.I. Klapa has co-authored 70 publications, including 6 book chapters (1 monograph); 43 papers in refereed international scientific journals, 18 papers in refereed conference proceedings among which 8 in international conferences and 3 patents. Moreover, 17 abstracts of studies presented in peer-reviewed conference proceedings have been published in international refereed journals.
Citation Score (Google Scholar 19/11/21):
Total number of citations: 6950 (~6870 without self-citations);
h-index: 27 (i-10 index: 34, first publication in 1999);
average impact factor 4.2
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
Participation in Scientific conferences
Co-author of 122 studies presented at international conferences and of 97 studies presented at national conferences after full paper or abstract submission review.
Organization/Program Committee Membership of Scientific Conferences
- 9th Foundations of Systems Biology in Engineering Conference (FOSBE), Co-chair/IPC Chair (2022)
- 2nd & 3rd International Symposium on Mathematical and Computational Oncology, PC Member (2020, 2021)
- 14th Annual Meeting, Hellenic Society of Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (HSCBB19), Chair (2019)
- 12th FORTH Scientific Retreat, Organizing Committee Chair (2019)
- 12th Panhellenic Conference of Chemical Engineers (2019), Scientific Committee Member (CM)
- 12th DYCOPS 2019, Dynamics and Control of Process Systems, including Biosystems, IC Member
- 8th Conference of Hellenic Mikrobiokosmos Society (2019), Chair of the Organizing Committee
- 9th International Conference, Hellenic Crystallographic Association (2018), Organizing CM
- 17th European Conference in Computational Biology (2018), Systems Biology Thematic Area Co-chair
- 8th East-Mediterranean Chemical Engineering Conference (2017), Organizing/Steering CM
- 10th (2015) and 11th (2017) Panhellenic Conference of Chemical Engineers, Scientific CM
- 6th IFAC Conference in Foundations of Systems Biology in Engineering (FOSBE 2016), IPC Area Co-chair in Modeling
- DYCOPS-CAB 2016 Conference, IPC Area Co-chair in Metabolic Engineering and Systems Biology
- 10th Conference of the Hellenic Society for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (2015), Scientific CM
- International Metabolomics Series MET-GR Workshop III: Metabolic and Protein Network Analysis in Systems Biology (2014), Chair
- 11th & 12th Computer Applications in Biotechnology (CAB2010 & CAB2013) Conferences, IPC Member & Area Co-Chair in Metabolic Engineering
- 7th East-Mediterranean Chemical Engineering Conference (2012), Chair (leading since then the Greek steering committee for this conference organization)
- 6th Conference, Hellenic Society for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (HSCBB11), Chairing Committee Member; co-organized training workshop “Advanced Bioinformatics Tools and Applications”
- 2nd (BSB09) & 3rd (BSB10) Int. Conference on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, International CM
- 2008 Int. Conference on Bioinformatics, Systems Biology and Artificial Life (BSBAL08), ISC member
- 10th Computer Applications in Biotechnology (CAB2007) Conference, IPC Member
- 7th World Congress of Chemical Engineering (2005), Division “Engineering for Life” ISC member
- Bioinformatics Topical Conference in the AIChE Annual Meeting, Co-chair (for 3 years, 2001-2003)
Invited Presentations/Lectures in Conferences/Symposia (Selected out of 28 Total)
Clinical Metabolomics Conference 2021 (CMC2021), Copenhagen, Denmark (2021); 2nd International Symposium on Zymomonas mobilis (Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic Biology), Wuhan, Hubei, China (2018); 7th European Society of Pediatric Endocrinology (ESPE) Meeting, Athens, Greece (2018); 7th & 8th East Mediterranean Conference in Chemical Engineering, Israel (2012; 2017); International Conference on Metabolic Science, China (2016); MULTIMOD Training Network (Marie Curie Actions) 3rd Workshop ” Biochemical Eng.: Fundamentals and Innovations”, GR (2013); Workshop on holistic analytical technologies for biomedical, food & plant sciences, GR (2012); 5th Meeting, Spanish Network of Systems Biology: Fostering Systems and Synthetic Biology in Southern Europe (2009); 8th Hellenic Conf. of Clinical Chemistry, GR(2009); International Workshop on Holistic Analytical Technologies for Systems Biology Studies, GR (2008); Metabolic Engineering VII, Mexico, (2008); Cell Culture Engineering XI, Austalia (2008); Select Biosciences: Advances in Metabolic Profiling Conference, USA (2007); IEEE Information Technology Applications in Biomedicine (ITAB) Preconf. Workshop, GR (2006); 3rd International Congress on Plant Metabolomics, USA (2004); EUNITE Workshop: Intelligent Technologies for Gene-Expression-Based Individualized Medicine, Germany (2004); HSBMB Annual Meeting, GR (2003).
- American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE), 1997-
- Sigma Xi Research Society, Associate Member 1997-
- International Society of Computational Biology, 2020-
- Technical Chamber of Greece, 1995-
- Panhellenic Association of Chemical Engineers, 1995-
- Hellenic Society for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 2003-
- Hellenic Society of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 2005-
- Hellenic Society of Biological Sciences, 2007-
2003: Metabolic Engineering (CHE 468H; senior year elective; 3h//week); ChemE, UMCP, USA
2003: Introduction to Engineering Design (ENES100: freshman core course; 1of 13 groups; 5h/week), School of Engineering, UMCP, USA
2004-2019: Bioinformatics (elective, 8th semester, 3h/week); Dept. of Biology, U. of Patras
- developed and/or (co-)coordinating
2003: Advances in Biochemical Engineering (CHE 762, graduate elective; 3h/week), ChemE, UMCP, USA (developed and taught in full)
2004-2011: Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (elective, 3h/week), Bioengineering – Environment Direction, Interdepartmental Graduate Program “Mathematical Modeling in New Technologies and Finance”, School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences, NTU Athens (developed and taught in full)
2009-present: Introduction to Bioinformatics & Systems Biology, 1-week intensive course, Horticultural Genetics Graduate Program, Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICh) (developed and teaching in full)
2012-present: Metabolomics (2nd semester, elective, 3h/week), Biological Technology Graduate Program, Dept. of Biology, U. of Patras – replaced by the class Systems Biology since 2018 (developed and teaching in full)
2018-present: Systems & Network Biology (elective, 3h/week), Mathematics of Data Science (New Direction in the Program) Interdepartmental Graduate Program “Mathematical Modeling in New Technologies and Finance”, School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences, NTU Athens (developed and teaching in full)
2020-Present: Bioinformatics II Class (3rd semester) – Co-coordinator, Bioinformatics Direction, Interdepartmental Graduate Program “Informatics in Life Sciences”, Medical School, U. of Patras (teaching Part 2 of the class on Experimental and Computational Methodologies for Omic Analyses)
- lectures or sections in courses
2012-present: Introduction to Systems Biology, invited 2h lecture in 1st year elective course (spring semester) Genes & Genomes (coordinator: N. Moschonas until 2019, Z Lygerou since 2020), Interdepartmental Graduate Program “Informatics in Life Sciences”, Medical School, U. of Patras
2014-present: Metabolomics in Systems Biology, invited 2h lecture in the Proteomic Division (A. Katsani, Coordinator), Translational Medicine Graduate Program, Democritus U. of Thrace
2018: Metabolomics, 2h lecture in Athens International Master’s Programme in Neurosciences, Biology Dept., Kapodistrian U. of Athens (S. Efthymiopoulos, Coordinator)
2019-present: Analysis of Metabolic and Protein Networks, 3h lecture in the Course “Biomolecular Structure and Function” (V Economidou, Coordinator), Graduate Program “Bioinformatics – Computational Biology”, Biology Dept., Kapodistrian U. of Athens
2021-present: Metabolomics, 2h lecture in the Course “The biotechnology toolbox” (P. Kollia, Coordinator), Graduate Program “Biotechnology”, Biology Dept., Kapodistrian U. of Athens
2021-present: Metabolic Engineering, 3h lecture in the course “Microbial Biotechnology” (A. Pappas & D. Chatzinikolaou, Coordinators), Graduate Program “Biotechnology”, Biology Dept., Kapodistrian U. of Athens
- Brann E, Malavaki C, Fransson E, Ioannidi MK, Henriksson HE, Papadopoulos FC, Chrousos GP, Klapa MI#, Skalkidou A#. 2021. Metabolic Profiling Indicates Diversity in the Metabolic Physiologies Associated With Maternal Postpartum Depressive Symptoms Front Psychiatry. 12:685656.
- Nicolaides NC, Ioannidi MK, Koniari E, Papageorgiou I, Bartzeliotou A, Sertedaki A, Klapa MI#, Charmandari E#. 2021. Untargeted Plasma Metabolomics Unravels a Metabolic Signature for Tissue Sensitivity to Glucocorticoids in Healthy Subjects: Its Implications in Dietary Planning for a Healthy Lifestyle. Nutrients 13:2120
- Dimitrakopoulos GN, Klapa MI, Moschonas NK#. 2021. PICKLE 3.0: Enriching the human meta-database with the mouse protein interactome extended via mouse-human orthology. Bioinformatics: 37: 145-146 (e-pub: Dec 2020)
- Manolaki P.#, Tooulakou G., Byberg C.U., Eller F., Sorrell B.K., Klapa M.I.#, Riis T. 2020. Probing the response of the amphibious plant Butomus umbellatus to nutrient enrichment and shading by integrating eco-physiological with metabolomic analyses. Frontiers in Plant Science 581787
- Papadimitropoulos M-E., Vasilopoulou C., Maga-Nteve Ch. & Klapa MI. 2018. Untargeted GC-MS metabolomics. Methods Mol Biol. 1738:133-147 (in G Theodoridis et al. (Eds): Metabolic Profiling, SpringerNature)
- van Rijswijk M, Beirnaert C, Caron C, ., Klapa MI, ., Zanetti G, Steinbeck C. 2017. The future of metabolomics in ELIXIR [version 2; referees: 3 approved]. F1000Research 6(ELIXIR):1649