Dept. of Chemical Engineering
University of Patras, Greece
Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
- PHD: Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo (UB), USA (2005).
- Diploma in Engineering: Department of Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (2000).
- Separation and Purification Processes
- CO2 capture
- Hydrogen storage
- Water treatment
- Porous materials and membranes including zeolites, metal-organic frameworks (MOFs), and carbon/graphitic nanostructures
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Patras (2022 – present)
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Khalifa University (KU), (2019 – 2022)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Khalifa University, (2017 – 2019)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, The Petroleum Institute (PI), (2013 – 2017)
- Adjunct Instructor, Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Materials Technology, University of West Attica, Greece (2008-2013)
- Marie Curie Fellow, Institute of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology (previously Institute of Physical Chemistry), Demokritos National Research Center (2007-2012)
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2005-2006).
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
6 projects as coordinator, 5 projects as co-I, 2 projects as principal investigator. Total funding 8 million USD.
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
80 publications in peer-reviewed journals, 7 chapters in books, 6 patents
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
>130 contributions in international conferences
Core and elective Chemical Engineering undergraduate and graduate courses: Thermodynamics, Heat transfer, Principles of Chemical Engineering, Colloids and Interface Science, Industrial Catalysis, Applied Nanotechnology, PhD Research Methods
- K.S.K. Reddy, A.M. Varghese, A.E. Ogungbenro, G.N. Karanikolos, “Aminosilane-Modified Ordered Hierarchical Nanostructured Silica for Highly-Selective Carbon Dioxide Capture at Low Pressure”, ACS Applied Engineering Materials, 1, 2, 720 (2023)
- SN Abd Elwadood, KSK Reddy, Y Al Wahedi, A Al Alili, ASF Farinha, G-J Witkamp, LF Dumée, GN Karanikolos, “Hybrid salt-enriched micro-sorbents for atmospheric water sorption”, Journal of Water Process Engineering 52, 103560 (2023)
- Gebremariam, S.K., Dumée, L.F., Llewellyn, P.L., Alwahedi, Y.F., Karanikolos, G.N., “Metal-organic framework hybrid adsorbents for carbon capture – A review”, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 11(2), 109291 (2023)
- Anish Mathai Varghese, K. Suresh Kumar Reddy, and Georgios N. Karanikolos, “An In-Situ-Grown Cu-BTC Metal–Organic Framework / Graphene Oxide Hybrid Adsorbent for Selective Hydrogen Storage at Ambient Temperature”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 61, 18, 6200 (2022).
- Rangaraj, V.M., Reddy, K.S.K., Karanikolos, G.N., “Ionothermal synthesis of phosphonitrilic-core covalent triazine frameworks for carbon dioxide capture” Chemical Engineering Journal, 429, 132160 (2022).
- F Anwar, M Khaleel, K Wang, GN Karanikolos, “Selectivity Tuning of Adsorbents for Ethane/Ethylene Separation: A Review”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 61, 34, 12269 (2022).
- Agbaje, T.A., Singh, S., Reddy, K.S.K., Polychronopoulou, K., Vega, L.F., Khaleel, M., Wang, K., Karanikolos, G.N., “Salt-free synthesis of Cu-BTC metal-organic framework exhibiting mesoporosity and enhanced carbon dioxide adsorption”, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 324, 111265 (2021)
- Varghese, A.M., Reddy, K.S.K., Bhoria, N., Singh, S., Pokhrel, J., Karanikolos, G.N., “Enhancing Effect of UV Activation of Graphene Oxide on Carbon Capture Performance of Metal-Organic Framework/Graphene Oxide Hybrid Adsorbents” Chemical Engineering Journal, 420, 129677, (2021).
- Bhoria, G. Basina, J. Pokhrel, K.S.K. Reddy, S. Anastasiou, V. Balasubramanian, Y.F. AlWahedi, G.N. Karanikolos, “Functionalization effects on HKUST-1 and HKUST-1/graphene oxide hybrid adsorbents for hydrogen sulfide removal”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 122565 (2020).
- Anish Varghese, K. Suresh Kumar Reddy, Swati Singh, Georgios N. Karanikolos, “Performance enhancement of CO2 capture adsorbents by UV treatment: The case of self-supported graphene oxide foam”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 386, 124022 (2020).
- Pokhrel, N. Bhoria, S. Anastasiou, T. Tsoufis, D. Gournis, G. Romanos, G. N. Karanikolos, “CO2 Adsorption Behavior of Amine-Functionalized ZIF-8, Graphene Oxide, and ZIF-8/Graphene Oxide Composites under Dry and Wet Conditions”, Microporous & Mesoporous Materials, 267, 53-67 (2018).
- Anastasiou, N. Bhoria J. Pokhrel K. Suresh Kumar Reddy, C. Srinivasakannan, K. Wang, G. N. Karanikolos, “Metal-organic framework/graphene oxide composite fillers in mixed-matrix membranes for CO2 separation”, Materials Chemistry & Physics, 212, 513-522 (2018).
- Tzialla, Ch. Veziri, X. Papatryfon, K.G. Beltsios, A. Labropoulos, B. Iliev, G. Adamova, T.J.S. Schubert, M.C. Kroon, M. Francisco, L.F. Zubeir, G.E. Romanos, G. N. Karanikolos, Zeolite Imidazolate Framework – Ionic Liquid Hybrid Membranes for Highly Selective CO2 Separation, J. Phys. Chem. C, 117, 18434 (2013).
- Pokhrel, N. Bhoria, Chao Wu, K. Suresh Kumar Reddy, Haris Margetis, Stavroula Anastasiou, Gigi George, Vikas Mittal, George Romanos, Dimitrios Karonis, Georgios N. Karanikolos, “Cu- and Zr-based Metal Organic Frameworks and their Composites with Graphene Oxide for Capture of Acid Gases at Ambient Temperature”, J. Solid State Chem., 266, 233-243, (2018).
- Labropoulos, C. Veziri, M. Kapsi, G. Pilatos, V. Likodimos, M. Tsapatsis, Nick K. Kanellopoulos, G. E. Romanos, and G. N. Karanikolos, “Carbon Nanotube Selective Membranes with Subnanometer, Vertically Aligned Pores, and Enhanced Gas Transport Properties”, Chem. Mater., 27, 8198 (2015).