Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1996: Phd in Physics- Physics Dept. Univ.of Patras, Greece
1988 BSc in Physics – Physics Dept. Univ.of Patras, Greece
Nanotechnology and nanomaterials
- Production of graphene and Transition metal dichalcogenides (MoS2, WS2 etc.) using CVD techniques
- Production of graphene/ CNT based multifunctional nanocomposites (e.g. low friction)
- Nanopore formation in two dimensional atomic thickness membranes using ultrashort laser pulses
- Graphene-based flexible displays and transparent polymer electrodes: Production & nanomechanical characterization
- Advanced characterization of two-dimensional materials using optical spectrsocopies (Conventional & Time resolved Raman, photoluminescence) and Atomic Force Microscopy (Nanomechanical, electrical and friction characterization)
- Stress/ strain and charge density Metrology in nanomaterials using optical spectrocopies (Raman and Photoluminesence)
- Nanomechanics of 2D materials using AFM: Mechanical response and Nanotribology
- Design of novel devices for mechanical testing of nanomaterials (collaboration with Nanonics imaging, IL)
Collaboration with industrial partners
- CVD grown Transition metal dichalcogenides such MoS2 and WS2 (HENANOTEC, https://www.henanotec.com)
- Low friction coatings using two dimensional materials (ΒΙC, https://gr.bicworld.com/)
- Graphene based inks for RFID technology (Tipografeio, GR http://tipografio.gr/)
- Characterization of 3D Graphene produced by enhanced plasma CVD (CealTech, NO, https://cealtech.com/)
- Enhanced property asphalt mixtures using graphene oxide as inclusions (Axonas, GR and Abalonyx, NO)
- Raman imaging in the Identification of different polymorphs and/or solvates in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient or formulation in collaboration with Dept of Pharmacy, Univ. of Patras (Pharosgr, Pharmathen, Genepharm S. A., Rontis Hellas etc)
2017-2021 Expert evaluator: National Center for Research and Development, Poland, Qatar National Research fund and KET4 Clean Production (https://www.ket4sme.eu/)
2017-2020 Adjunct Faculty Member, School of Science & Technology, Hellenic Open University, Greece
2015-2016 Expert Evaluator, H2020 (MSCA-COFUND)
2013 Expert Evaluator, “MATERIALS” Panel (FP7-SME-2013)
2009-2012 Application Scientist, FORTH/ICEHT, Greece
2008-2012 Ass. Professor (under contract), Dept. of Optometry & Vision Studies, ATEI Patras, Greece
2008-2009 Lecturer(under contract) Dept. of Materials Science, Univ. of Patras, Greece (1 semester)
2007-2008 Visiting Researcher, Univ. of London, Queen Mary and Westfield College, UK (6 months)
1998-2008 Research fellow, FORTH/ICEHT, Greece
2003-2004 External Research collaborator, Dept. Materials Science, Univ. of Patras, Greece
2001-2009 Adjunct Faculty Member, School of Science & Technology, Hellenic Open University, Greece
1998-2005 Expert evaluator of Educational material (Text books, interactive docs etc.) in Hellenic Open University, Faculty of Sciences & Technology, Greece
1996-1998 Postdoctoral fellow in Physics Dept. Univ. of Patras, Greece
- Hellenic State Scholarship foundation (IKY, Greece) for PostDoc Research in “Lasing properties of Photonic Polymers“, 1998
- John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation (Greece) funding for an one-year research project in “Mechanical behaviour of two dimensional crystals: the case of graphene”, 2011
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Current: EU (Manunet), FORTH Synergy grant, Regional: NaMaP
Past programmes: EU (Graphene Flagship, ERC, NEWSPEC, PHOSIL, NANOFUN-POLY, CNTCOMP, ADAPT, DAMPBLADE)
National (GSRT: THALIS, ERC-10, Greece-Israel Bilateral, HRAKLEITOS, PENED)
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
6 patent applications (5 International and 1 National), 5 chapters in books, 77 refereed journal papers (Nature Communications, Nanoletters, ACS Nano, 2DMaterials etc.), PhD Thesis, 23 refereed books of proceedings and more than 150 presentations in National and International conferences.
Coauthor in 8 journal papers and 6 conference proceedings with Profs. Κ. Νovoselov and A. Geim (Univ. of Manchester, UK) Nobel Prize Laureates in Physics 2010.
Editorial board member: Crystals (IF: 2.589), MPI
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
Presentation in more than 150 presentations in National and International conferences.
Distinguished Member of the Hellenic Society of Physicists
Member of the Hellenic Society of Composite Materials
Member of the European Society of Composite Materials
Member of the Hellenic Society of Soft Matter
- “Structural Defects Modulate Electronic and Nanomechanical Properties of 2D Materials”, Tripathi, M; Lee, F; Michail, A; Anestopoulos, D; McHugh, JG; Ogilvie, SP; Large, MJ; Graf, AA; Lynch, PJ; J. Parthenios; Papagelis, K; Roy, S; Saadi, MASR; Rahman, MM; Pugno, NM; King, AAK; Ajayan, PM; Dalton, AB, ACS NANO, 15(2), pp. 2520-2531 (2021).
- “Extreme Downsizing of Spin Crossover Nanoparticles Towards Stable Colloids in Water: A Detailed Nano-Topographic study”, C. D. Polyzou, O. Malina, Μ. Polaskova, M. Tripathi, A. B. Dalton, J. Parthenios and V. Tangoulis, J. Mater. Chem. C, Accepted 2021.
- “Biaxial strain engineering of CVD and exfoliated single- and bi-layer MoS2 crystals”, Michail, A; Anestopoulos, D; Delikoukos, N; J. Parthenios; Grammatikopoulos, S; Tsirkas, SA; Lathiotakis, NN; Frank, O; Filintoglou, K; Papagelis, K, 2D Materials, 8(1), Art. no. 15023 (2021).
- “Controllable, eco-friendly, synthesis of highly crystalline 2D-MoS2 and clarification of the role of growth-induced strain”, A. Michail, J. Parthenios, D. Anestopoulos, C. Galiotis, M. Christian, L. Ortolani, V. Morandi, K. Papagelis. 2D Mater. 5 035035, 2018.
- “Optical detection of strain and doping inhomogeneities in single layer MoS2”, A. Michail, N. Delikoukos, J. Parthenios, C. Galiotis and K. Papagelis, Applied Physics Letters 108, 173102 2016.
- “From Graphene to Carbon Fibres: Mechanical and development of a universal stress sensor“, Otakar F., Tsoukleri G., Riaz I., Papagelis K., Parthenios J., Ferrari C., Geim A., Novoselov K., Galiotis C. Nature Comms (2011)
- “Subjecting a Graphene Monolayer to Tension and Compression” by Georgia Tsoukleri, John Parthenios, Konstantinos Papagelis, Rashid Jalil, Andrea C. Ferrari, Andre K. Geim, Kostya S. Novoselov, and Costas Galiotis, Small, 5/21 (2009), 2397-2402
- “Chemical Oxidation of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes” by V. Datsyuk, M. Kalyva, K. Papagelis, J. Parthenios, D. Tasis, A. Siokou, I. Kallitsis and C. Galiotis, Carbon, 46(6), 833-840, 2008