Research Project, Scientists etcSearch
1984: PhD in Physics of Ionized Gases & Plasmas, Univ. of Toulouse,
1981: DEA in Physics of Ionized Gases and Plasmas, Univ. of Toulouse,
1980: Diploma in Physics, Department of Physics, University of Athens,
Optical non-linearities of novel photonic materials: physical origins, mechanisms of NLO response, dynamics & temporal evolution, 2D materials, nanoparticles and nanostructures, effects of chemical functionalization to tune/tailor the nonlinear optical response and properties (non-linear absorption and refraction, χ(3)).
Laser Spectroscopy of molecules: molecular excited states, photo-excitation and dynamics, charge transfer and charge delocalization, photo-dissociation.
Laser produced plasmas: production, characterization & applications.
Laser based applications: for environmental issues, for monitoring of industrial processes, for combustion diagnostics.
Laser based analytical techniques and Machine Learning for food safety and control of food quality, authentication, etc.
Laboratory website: nam.wpnet.upatras.gr
2005 – today: Professor of Laser Physics and Applications of Lasers, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Patras, Greece
2002: Invited Professor at the Dept. of Physics, Univ. de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
1999 – 2005: Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Patras, Greece
1999: Invited Professor at the Dept. of Physics, Univ. de Cergy-Pontoise, Paris, France
1996 – 1999: Principal Researcher at IESL/FORTH, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
1993 – 1996: Associate Researcher at IESL/FORTH, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
1993: Invited Professor at the Univ. of Paris-Sud (Orsay), France
1989 – 1993: Visiting assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Crete, and Researcher at IESL/FORTH
1992: Invited Research Scientist at the Univ. of Purdue, USA
1988 – 1989: Research Scientist at High Intensity Discharge Physics Dept., Material Science Laboratory, G.T.E. Laboratories, Boston, M.A., U.S.A.
1986 – 1988: Researcher (post-doctoral), Centre of Atomic Physics of Toulouse, France
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
Scientific responsible of more than 20 European Union funded research projects (e.g. IST, COST, GROWTH, BRITE-EURAM, ECSC, Raw Materials, TMR & HCM, etc) and several National research projects (H.F.R.I, PEP Crete, PENED 2001, PENED 2004, etc.). Participant as senior research scientist in several other EU projects.
PUBLICATIONS IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
More than 200 refereed journal papers having received more than 5400 citations (h-40); Participation in more than 150 International Conferences; 2 chapters in internationally edited books; 2 books for the Greek Open University; 1 textbook for Eudoxos.
PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES
Participation in over than 150 international conferences.
American Physical Society
General Physics, Classical Mechanics, Optics and Physics of Waves Laboratories, Electromagnetism, Introduction in Lasers & Applications, Applied Optics, Applications of Lasers in Physics (Laser Physics), Nonlinear Optics.
Supervisor of several Diploma and Master Theses and PhD candidates at the Department of Physics of the Univ. of Patras in Greece.
- “Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy coupled with machine learning as a tool for olive oil authenticity and geographic discrimination”. N. Gyftokostas, D. Stefas, V. Kokkinos, C. Bouras, S. Couris. Scientific Reports, 2021, 11(1), 1-11.
- “Silicon Nanosheets versus Graphene Nanosheets: A Comparison of Their Nonlinear Optical Response”. M. Stavrou, I. Papadakis, A. Stathis, M.J. Kloberg, J. Mock, T. Kratky, S. Gunther, B. Rieger, M. Becherer, A. Lyuleeva-Husemann, S. Couris. J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2021, 12(2), 815-821.
- “Giant Broadband (450-2300 nm) Optical Limiting and Enhancement of the Nonlinear Optical Response of Some Graphenes by Defect Engineering”. M. Stavrou, I. Papadakis, S. Bawari, T. Narayanan, S. Couris. J. Phys. Chem. C, 2021, 125, 16075-16085.
- “Discrimination of olive oils based on the olive cultivar origin by machine learning employing the fusion of emission and absorption spectroscopic data”. D. Stefas, N. Gyftokostas, P. Kourelias, E. Nanou, V. Kokkinos, C. Bouras, S. Couris, Food Control, 2021, 130, 108318.
- “Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy: An Efficient Tool for Food Science and Technology (from the Analysis of Martian Rocks to the Analysis of Olive Oil, Honey, Milk, and Other Natural Earth Products)”. D. Stefas, N. Gyftokostas, E. Nanou, P. Kourelias, S. Couris. Molecules, 2021, 26(16), 4981.
- “Outstanding Broadband (532 nm-2.2 μm) and Very Efficient Optical Limiting Performance of some Defect Engineered Graphenes”. I. Papadakis, M. Stavrou, S. Bawari, T. N. Narayanan, S. Couris, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2020, 11(21), 9515-9520.
- “Enhancing and Tuning the Nonlinear Optical Response and Wavelength-Agile Strong Optical Limiting Action of N-octylamine Modified Fluorographenes”. Stathis, A.; Stavrou, M.; Papadakis, I.; Obratzov, I.; Couris, S., Nanomaterials, 2020, 10, 2319.
- “Determination of the Nonlinear Optical Properties of Single- and Few-Layered Graphene Dispersions under Femtosecond Laser Excitation: Electronic and Thermal Origin Contributions”. M. Stavrou, I. Dalamaras, N. Karampitsos, S. Couris. J. Phys. Chem. C, 2020 124(49), 27241-27249.
- “Laser-based classification of olive oils assisted by machine learning”. O. Gazeli, E. Bellou, D. Stefas, S. Couris. Food Chemistry, 2020, 302, 125329.
- “Laser induced breakdown spectroscopy for elemental analysis and discrimination of honey samples”. D. Stefas, N. Gyftokostas, S. Couris. Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy, 2020, 172, 105969.
- “Thiophenol-Modified Fluorographene Derivatives for Nonlinear Optical Applications”. A. Stathis, I. Papadakis, N. Karampitsos, S. Couris, G. Potsi, A. B. Bourlinos, M. Otyepka, R. Zboril, ChemPlusChem., 2019, 84, 1-12.